DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone tuned and kept MDS ?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  moparornocar72 
#1 ·
Hey, all. In need of assistance, here. I have used the "Search" function, but still not able to find an answer to my basic questions

I bought my '08 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7L Hemi used last November.
It came with duals aftermarket, a K&N CAI....and a 13.5MPG on 89 octane gas addiction.

I now am improved to 14.5-15MPG, locally, as long as I baby the hell out of it, but would sure like to see another +2 or +3MPG.

Have been reading, here, and elsewhere, and getting conflicting messages about buying/using a tuner with the MDS system+torque converter clutch.

Has anyone tuned their Ram and KEPT the MDS? Gas mileage improvement noted? How much?
What tuner best for the Ram, and what basic settings?

I'm sure this has been covered before, so I apologize in advance...all help and advice much appreciated , though.

#3 ·
Not sure if this will answer your question but when I had my 2006 charger R/T I used a diablo intune and kept MDS on for a week and my MPG never moved, but I was tired of the annoying drone my exhaust emitted and decided to turn it off, within a day it dropped 2 MPG and stayed there unless I turned it back on. Could have been the way I drove it too lol. Hope this sheds some light and gets some more qualified answers for you!!

#4 ·
You can keep the MDS on if you want, Like mentioned it's about a 2mpg drop if you turn it off. I have tried it both ways and thats my experience, I use a predator tuner and like it I know run with MDS off and throttle sensitivity turned to +20 and the correct tire size on the canned 93 tune.

#6 ·
You can keep the MDS on if you want, Like mentioned it's about a 2mpg drop if you turn it off. I have tried it both ways and thats my experience, I use a predator tuner and like it I know run with MDS off and throttle sensitivity turned to +20 and the correct tire size on the canned 93 tune.

I am heavily modified (heads, cam, TC, intake manifold swap, 1 7/8" LT headers, e-cutout, gears) and I keep the MDS for long road trips but I do turn it off when around town because my tranny seems to be hunting for the right gear when I'm at around-town crusing speeds currently. A good tuner can get your mods tuned properly and still allow the use of MDS. Around town my MDS never kicks in, but that's because of my lead foot, however, or the highways it definately makes a difference, and I've seen up to 21mpg on long trips and getting 750km to a tank of gas is impressive considering around town I can burn through a tank in 500kms.

I had given up on getting responses, lol. First time I had checked back in about 5 days.

Thanks, to each of you, I appreciate the input.

Is there a basic consensus regarding "the best" tuner for the 5.7L Hemi...at least for my purposes? (Primarily not seeking any HP/torque boost, just wanting to improve upon gas mileage)

#5 ·
I am heavily modified (heads, cam, TC, intake manifold swap, 1 7/8" LT headers, e-cutout, gears) and I keep the MDS for long road trips but I do turn it off when around town because my tranny seems to be hunting for the right gear when I'm at around-town crusing speeds currently. A good tuner can get your mods tuned properly and still allow the use of MDS. Around town my MDS never kicks in, but that's because of my lead foot, however, or the highways it definately makes a difference, and I've seen up to 21mpg on long trips and getting 750km to a tank of gas is impressive considering around town I can burn through a tank in 500kms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.