DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Drop on a budget, wantin to cut coils on '03

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  RAMMED84 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't have much extra money and im going to rebuild my front suspension balljoints ect. I want to cut one full coil off the front and do a set of drop shackles in the rear. Is this a OK way to lower my truck? Or will it cause problems. Any help would be helpful. I still can't decide if its a good idea.

#2 ·
Drop shackles in the rear will only drop your truck about 2" in the rear which would make it about level with the front. Cutting a full coil off the front will drop the front about 3", so it wouldn't be level, the front would still be a lot lower. I used to have 3" drop springs on the front of my truck and you can't get the camber back to 0 degrees without modifying the camber bolt holes... I left the camber a little off 0 degrees and it ended up eating up my tires... tires are expensive haha.

If you are dead set on cutting your springs I'd only cut about 1/2 a coil off (which will give you a little more than an inch) and more that than and your going to start running into issues.

#3 ·
I can understand wanting to save some cash but i would wait to find someone selling a set of spring or save up u will be more happy with the ride of ur truck

#6 ·
Ehhhh...yes and no. 1500 4x4's have torsion bars. 1500 4x2's have coil springs. I personally think you would be better off with the torsion bars because there is adjustment built in. Regardless, I do agree with BLACK07. Rear shackles will only get you close to level with the front. You will still have a little front rake so if you do manage to lower the front as well you will be getting close to the factory amount of front rake. Depending on what you haul or tow, you could consider removing the rear overload springs in addition to the shackles. That would probably give you an extra 3/4" drop and get the front and back very near to dead level. Hope this helps!

#7 ·
I cut the front springs on my 02 think it was 1/2 a coil and I couldn't tell the difference with the ride didn't do anything with the bump stops. And put eibach s lowering leafs in the rear. I really liked it, rode good, not too low, still hauled and towed ok. Just removed the rear bump stops.

#8 ·
Not to thread jack but which is a better idea for the front on a 2wd, lower springs or lowered spindles? I have lowered a gm truck once with McG spindles and the ball joints were at a lot more of a bind/angle than seems good to me, it put a lot of stress on the ball joints. I want to lower mine the right way but want to keep the best ride. And this is a 2" in the front. Also whats the best way and best brand to get 4.5" in the back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.