DODGE RAM FORUM banner

02-08 2/4.5 dropped experience

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 ·
I am wanting to lower my 04 quad cab 2wd about 2" in the front and 4-4.5" in the rear (whatever will sit it closest to level, don't like a rake or bulldog stance). Please give me only opinions and suggestions based on experience only please! That is if you have a 02-08 2wd quad cab with the drop I am looking at.

What is best for ride quality and taking the wearing of parts into consideration. I have had different trucks in the past that I lowered with spindles and the ball joints were in a much stronger angle than I desired. Then others that rode really STIFF with drop springs. I have never rode in an 02-08 ram QC that has been lowered so that is why I come to you all to speak to me from experience. I see kits with coils and others with spindles. I see kits with flip kits and some that do not, just shackles and hangers. I am assuming to go from 4" to 4.5" in the rear is the difference from flip or just shackles and hangers, is that right? Will 4" in the rear sit it level with 2" in the front? I have used the search function and found some answers but still have some unanswered. Any pics are appreciated. And what tire sizes are you guys running with this low of a drop on factory 20s and filling the wheels up the best you can without too much? TIA!

#2 ·
I don't have the drop that you are after but I can still answer some of your questions. You are correct about shackles vs. flip kit. Shackles will only get you 1.5-1.75" in the rear max. You are also correct about the level. 2/4 will leave you "eyeball" level. As for tires, it seems like a lot of guys stick with the stock 275/60/20 because it really fills the fender well completely with that kind of drop. I have seen guys running 285/50/20 as well and yours being a 2004 you should be able to run 305/50/20 if you want to go wider.

Also, here is a great thread that might help give you a direction on some of your other questions. This is one of my favorite third gen lowered trucks....I love the stance. Tis a shame, mine is a 4x4 and will never go that low, lol.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81107

#3 ·
starquestbd22, I appreicate the link, it helps. I know the shackles only drop the truck 1.5" - 2" but can't you do front spring hangers and get another 2" instead of flipping the rear axle? I dropped a 96 RCSB chevrolet once and did a 4/6 on it. The rear was flipped because I went lower than 4". The front I did spindles which put the ball joints at way too extreme of an angle for my liking and the springs (McG) made it ride soooo stiff with a little bit of bounce. I had belltech shocks all brand new all around and it rode like JUNK!

Is the drop from the link you sent me a spindle drop for the front? That was what it seemed from what I gathered. Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
I'm fairly new to the lowering scene but I have done a lot of research and reading and have not seen anything regarding spring hangers on our trucks. What you are saying makes sense to me but for whatever reason I don't think it's an option for the Rams. Not only have I never heard of hangers for our trucks but I went to McGaughy's site and they carry drop hangers but not for Dodges, lol. Maybe someone with some more insight on why hangers aren't an option for our trucks will chime in.

Yeah, the thread that I linked talked about the McGaughy's 2/4.5 drop kit with front spindles. Once again, I don't have a lot of experience with this level of drop but everything that I have read indicates that the CV angles remain at near optimum angles and the ride is very good with this type of drop.

#6 ·
Thanks again starquest and from my experience (again never with a Dodge) you can get 2" roughly with a shackle that is at the rear of a leaf spring and another 2" roughly with a hanger which is at the front of a leaf spring. Again this was with GM product. The front of the spring is on a single point pivot in which changing the hanger raises that point up 2" thus bring the truck down 2", again roughly speaking. I am sure you are right in your research and it is probably not possible on a Dodge. There may be a clearance issue there. Nonetheless, it sounds like you have done your research and I appreciate your help. I swore I was looking at drop kits for my truck and seen one that listed hangers and shackles, but I have done so much my head is full and my computer is loaded with bookmarked research that is now too much to decipher, that was why I turned to here. So it looks like a flip is for sure in the rear, now with what chewy said, I have seen many people cut on their front springs but it just seems scary. I have always turned wrenches on my own stuff and buddies stuff too (from full install of a turbo on a mitsubishi eclipse to complete lifts and drops on jeeps, chevys, fords) and I have never been comfortable about cutting a spring, not to say I won't do it.

With a flip in the rear am I better to use shock extenders and keep stock shocks or get a drop shock?
With the cut of the front spring or a 2" drop spring either way, do I stay with stock shocks or a drop shock? Sorry for all the questions, I just really need to keep this one on a good ride as this is the family truck now, not just me being young and hacking one up. I am married now and have 2 kids and wife, those days are over :(

#7 ·
I know what you mean about the family wagon. I'm right there with you. I'm not sure about the shocks to be honest with you. If you can't find the answer by searching (I also know what you mean about reading until you confuse yourself, lol) then you could always post another thread with that specific question here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.