DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Is this what my leaf springs are supposed to look like? (pic)

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
Was crawling around under my truck earlier and noticed the leaf springs. I have never really paid them any close attention before the drop shackles that I installed a few weeks ago. Anyway, are they supposed to be bent in the center like they are? I guess I pictured them as a perfect arch like they are with no load on them, lol. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
went out and looked at mine. looks the same, maybe not as intense but still same shape. maybe your drop makes it look more than mine?

#3 ·
Thanks man. I know you know because you have replied to some of my posts but I have been considering removing the overload leaf to get a little bit more drop. This makes me not want to. Lot's of folks have said that the OL springs do nothing until you have your bed loaded past a certain point but from what I am seeing that bottom leaf IS providing at least some amount of support to the spring pack. Seems like removing it would allow the leaf pack to bend even more than it already is due to that lack of support. I dunno...maybe I am overestimating the support that this leaf gives or underestimating the strength of the leaf pack. I just don't know that it's worth finding out the hard way, lol.

#4 ·
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't know much about that aspect of these trucks :/ wish I was of more help!

#5 ·
I just looked at mine and they have the same shape, maybe not quite as much of an up stream as yours in the middle, but mine is all stock too. That is very weird, never seen another leaf spring like that, but again I have never worked on a Dodge. I would say nothing is wrong with yours tho.

#6 ·
How many miles do you guys have on your trucks? In my experience, that wavy shape is from excessive axle wrap, either from a lot of torque/heavy foot or high mileage or both. These trucks do have a lot of torque, that could be doing it. I wouldn't worry about it much. I also wouldn't take the OL springs out, your only going to drop the thickness of the leaf.

#7 ·
I have 74k miles on mine. I get on it getting on the freeway once in a blue moon but otherwise I pretty much baby it around. Power-wise, it's all stock. That being said, I bought it at 67k so I can't vouch for before then. I do know that the previous owner traded the truck in because he bought a bigger camper and needed a 3/4 ton to pull it.

Anyway, I agree. I was leaning toward removing the OL leaf until I saw that but now I don't feel so comfortable with it.

#9 ·
My truck only has 28,000 miles and it was owned by an older retired vietnam vet that just used the truck for pulling around his 19' ski boat and occassionally 12' utility trailer. Mine isnt quite as strong of a up bend as the pic but I would say not far from it. And I don't think there is no way there is enough torque on stock tires that SHOULD cause that unless dodge was using some really cheap spring steel. That is just my take on it, could be wrong.
There's a common denominator here, both of your trucks were used for towing, however little it may have been. Maybe it's towing + torque + cheap spring steel = wavy springs. :4-dontknow:

#8 ·
My truck only has 28,000 miles and it was owned by an older retired vietnam vet that just used the truck for pulling around his 19' ski boat and occassionally 12' utility trailer. Mine isnt quite as strong of a up bend as the pic but I would say not far from it. And I don't think there is no way there is enough torque on stock tires that SHOULD cause that unless dodge was using some really cheap spring steel. That is just my take on it, could be wrong.

#10 ·
I've never seen a leaf spring shaped like that. I'd say it's bent from overloading + age. The overload spring is typically level and the other leafs are basically arch shaped, yours is fairly far from that. Sure it's ok and all, just that I think it is bent. Still, removing the OL shouldn't hurt anything unless you overload it.

#11 ·
As stated above, the guy that I bought the truck from told me that he got rid of it to get a 3/4 ton to pull his new camper. I wonder if he pulled it with this truck a time or two and that contributed to the spring condition? It surely hasn't been anywhere near overloaded in the time that I have owned it.

Based on what I see (as pictured in the photos) it really looks like a significant portion of the spring pack touches the OL spring. That's why I was saying it at least appears that the OL spring is supporting the spring pack to some degree. Maybe it only looks like there is so much contact between the spring pack and the OL on my truck because of the condition of the springs. That makes me wonder....is my truck already sitting slightly lower than it would with new, properly formed springs? Would removing the OL and installing new springs packs come anywhere close to negating each other, lol?

#12 ·
How about a side shot of your truck, stock and with the kit?

I would agree getting new springs and removing the OL is probably the same as where it sits now. It looks like you have maybe 1/2" lower just due to the bent springs.

#15 ·
You mean before the shackles and after? I have a side shot before and after but I lowered the front in between the two pics as well so it may be hard to accurately judge what the shackles actually did.

"S" shaped spring is caused by axle wrap. Common
I had never heard of axle wrap prior to this thread. Did a little reading and it looks to be the most common on HD, 2500, or lifted trucks. Regardless, other than the appearance of the spring packs, will it hurt anything to run them this way? New spring packs are expensive!!

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info so far everyone. Just out of curiosity I checked around and it looks like I can get a set of replacement leaf packs for about $240...probably plus shipping as I'm sure they aren't light. While I was looking I ran across something I haven't seen before...lowering leaf springs. Rather than repost a question that I have asked in another thread (that has gotten no answers yet), I'll post the link here. Any info that any of you can offer is once again appreciated.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145447

***EDIT***
Ouch, yeah, just checked and shipping on the OEM height replacement springs that I mentioned above is over $80.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.