DODGE RAM FORUM banner

differential issues!!!

752 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Saltillo Express 
#1 ·
Not sure where to begin so I may ramble a little, but here it goes:
2004 2wd 5.7 with trac-loc and 3.92 gears. Towed a trailer and car weighing in at around 4-4,500 lbs combined for about 900 miles. Near the last 200 miles of the trip began to hear a rotational sound that sounded like: metal to metal dragging/squealing. Thought it was at first a wheel bearing on the trailer. Checked the hubs on the trailer by hand and were cool as outside temps. I knew it was coming from rearward of the driver's seat. Crawled under truck and felt by hand all over the rear-end. The center-section at first seemed only warm but as I kept my hand on it for upwards of 5-7 seconds, it was hot enough I no longer could stand to keep my hand on it. Thought just for $h!t$ and giggles that once I returned from the trip that I would change trans filter and fluid along with regular oil change and now thought I would go ahead with a gear oil change in the rear. As I begin to pull the differential cover, I see what appears to be a "W" shaped piece of metal at the bottom of the center-section and the gear oil is dark grey in color and lots of little metal pieces. I have since researched the issues with the 9 1/4" 12 bolt and seen that this is the results of a broken and chewed up clutch pack retaining clip. Anyways, deciding to go ahead and rebuild the differential, I have ordered the Yukon clutch packs and clips. I have the rear-end tore down now and plan to go ahead and replace all the bearings. My biggest question as of now is can I replace all bearings and seals but still use my old ring and pinion? I have set up 2 other rears in my days (1 GM 12 bolt and 1 Ford 8.8) and always put new everything including the differential itself. This time I just want my truck back up to good standings and the old gear set seems fine. However just concerned about not getting the gear pattern back the way it was with putting all new bearings. I am of course assuming the new SKF bearings will be a difference in thickness in total from the old bearings which will of course change the gears location from where they are now. I of course have a nice 1/4" groove cut in my carrier bearing cap on the right side and in the housing where the retainer clip made its rounds but still not too bad to continue with this rear-end. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you can get just the carrier cap, if I'm not mistaken. How do the gears look? Any weird heat related color? I assume you probably know there is a process to getting those gears installed right where they don't whine on you. I think Advance Driveline has it online. Of course new gears are new gears, and it would be an opportunity to change things. Only if you wanted to of course. 4.10, 4.56. That's crazy talk. Nevermind. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.