DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4.7 upgrades? Recommendations?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jasonl844 
#1 ·
Hello All!
I am brand new to the 4.7 engine (so new in fact that the truck is not titled in my name yet haha), and I have a few questions on her. After having done a lot of research on the engines in the newer dodges, 02 and newer that is, i finally found one i could afford. Ive got an 2002 quadcab, 2wd, auto, 4.7 pickup. I got a heck of a deal on it because it was a "fleet truck" to an extent that had the motor rebuilt about 25k miles ago (standard oil pump issues). I am coming from a 2001 ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.9, so I am sure I will see some power difference in the red, (but Ive got my 73 Dart with a hopped up engine for power). I was mainly just wanting a clean running, reliable, lower mileage, functional truck that got tolerable mpg's. That being said, i was wondering if any of yall have any pointers about the 4.7 in terms of preventative maintenance, performance upgrades, little tricks. stuff like that. i figured just asking a blanket question could very well save me a lot of problems and trial and error down the road. I know its not going to be a powerful as the 5.7, im just looking for any upgrades yall have found to be actually beneficial. the truck is currently bone stock, so it is a truly blank slate!
Any answers are greatly appreciated!
JB

#3 ·
That is somewhat what I was thinking. I have always put duals on every vehicle i have owned and never looked back. Are there any certain "types" of mufflers that give a good rumble without being "ricey"? the last thing I want to do is have my Dodge sounding like a v6 chevy with open pipes... I know that flowmaster 40 series on my 5.9 sound great, but being a smaller engine I was curious if anyone has found a "rumble" that sounds good from a different kind, or had run-ins with some bad combinations

#4 ·
I'm not partial to Flowmasters myself, to me it makes every engine sound like a late 80's 5.0 Mustang...plus I've heard a bunch of people say they rust out badly. Magnaflow seems to have some good rumble, but I've heard mixed reviews about drone at certain rpm's. I have a Borla kit, it's noticeable but a bit quieter and I don't get any drone.

#6 ·
Ok, thanks! I've seen some flows rust out, but never on my vehicles. I like the magnaflows and the flow masters equally. Just didn't know if anyone had advice on way or the other. I will prolly go with magnaflow simply because now that I think of it I haven't ever seen them rust out. Any experience with cold air/Spectre filters/k&n filters? I've found the Spectre filters to be surprisingly good, but maybe y'all have experience to the contrary or better knowledge of em

#7 ·
I had a Flowmaster Super 44 on my old 06 4.7L Ram for a year before swapping it out for an 18" Magnaflow. I was extremely happy with the swap. The MF sounded better IMO and I also could swear I felt a very slight performance boost.

If you like the FM sound then go FM but otherwise MF is a better overall muffler. All stainless construction and a straight-through design. Dynomax seems to be very comparable to the MF as well and I have also heard good things about Borla.

I don't have anything to offer you on the intake but please keep us updated on what you decide as I have been considering one myself.

#8 ·
i just had my truck too for 6 months now and here's what i did: i changed the spark plugs, i replaced the pcv valve. did the fuel system thru a shop(got a better throttle response after and a noticable mpg gain) although i wish i did it myself and save a few extra bucks. did the oil change too myself. before i did all this i was getting 450-460k a tank now im at 510-520. then the modding starts ;). hope this helps and good luck with your new truck.

#10 ·
I just put a flowmaster 44 0n my 04 4.7 with dual pipes out the rear, One of the best sounding trucks I've ever had.Mine has the 5spd. trans.which makes it sound better.But I was getting 20 m.p.g in town before after the duals i'm only getting 19 just saying might be my foot

#11 ·
i just put a thrush magna glass pack on like 2 weeks ago, no drone, not stupid loud and i did feel a differnece in power compared to my old turbo muffler. cant keep my foot off it. but i am a huge fan of magnaflows and if you dont want loud i would do that. i also did the stock air box mod and did feel a throttle response differnece and you can here it suckin in air at full throttle, i also threw a drop in high flow spectra air filter with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.