DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Parking--Learning curve?

3K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  LeKy411 
#1 ·
So I picked up the new Ram Friday and spent all day Saturday running errands on and off the interstate and around town. The truck drove like a dream. Parking, on the other hand, was more of an issue than I imagined it would be.

It seemed like every shop I pulled into had a parking lot designed for Smart cars and Fiats. One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process. :doh:

All of that confirmed that I'm going to get a backup cam installed when I do the new stereo/HU.

What I'm wondering is, for all of you that went from driving a mid-size sedan to a truck, how long did it take to get comfortable with just whipping into a spot on the first try? It gets easier, right?

#2 ·
There is no learning curve, the turning radious on the 4th gens could be better. I always feel like there should be one or 2 more inches of turn in the wheel when it smacks the stops.

It usually takes me 3-4 tries in a crowded/cramped parking lot too. If I can I try to park away from others though, so its less of an issue for me, until I get home. My apartment complex parking is rediculous, 2 spaces, then a pole (holding the carport up) then 2 more spaces and a pole...my neighbor on one side has a Tahoe and my neighbor on the other has a White 4th Gen SLT. We ALL hate the parking lot. When I get my beater car from my friend, the truck will get parked either out on the street nearby, or in long term storage, pulled out once a month or so for a joyride, then put back to rest.

#3 ·
Glad to hear it's not just me. I'm sure with more time behind the wheel I'll figure out the no-go spots before even trying to fit.

Me and the wife will be moving to GA soon from FL, so hopefully the town is more truck-friendly in terms of parking lots than what we've got down here. I haven't heard too many complaints from my buddies up there with trucks.

You're at Lewis? I used to work out there and lived on top of a hill out in Olympia--I'd have given anything to have a 4x4 back then...

#5 ·
Yeah, that's funny actually. I was driving my wife around and said to her that I'd never before realized all the pickups parked out at the far end of the lot before until I had to do it myself...

#6 ·
Lol It becomes easier it really does. Once you get the angles down and the way the truck turns youll get into it. Granted there are some places you will have to perform the 50 point turn shit to get into a parking spot but it gets easier with practice. you just gotta know your truck is all.

#7 ·
I agree, it becomes easier with time and practice and learning how your truck turns and getting a feel for the size, back up cams are nice but be careful with traffic coming from the sides because they dont show that...

#8 ·
One spot took me about 4 tries, and I almost backed over a Prius in the process.
No huge loss there! :box2:

As others have said, it does in fact get easier. I have driven just about everything from small cars, medium trucks, large trucks, vans, delivery trucks, bucket trucks, utility trucks...the learning curve for parking is just as Army said...make your own space out in the boonies and walk! It's easier parking, and leaving. (sometimes getting into the spot is the easy part!).

#11 ·
Haven't ever had a problem, although on that note I'm a trucker so I'm used to driving battleships into smallspaces. there is a learning curve in the aspect of where you stage the truck to start your turn into the spot, my soon to be wife is picking up on it pretty quick.
:smileup:

#12 ·
My RCSB truck parks like a smart car compared to my previous 2006 chevy silverado crewcab with a 6inch lift.

#13 ·
Only had my truck 2 months and still not easy but like everyone else I find I am walking a bit further now who cares about the spots right outside the store that is where you get all the door dings anyway from careless others.

#14 ·
Good point. Not only is this my first new car, but I've wanted this truck for so long that every time I walk out from a store I'm compulsively checking for scratches and marks.

Maybe the answer is slat armor?

#16 ·
I usually look for two open spots next to each other. If only a single. I found it easiest to pull in the spot front first if you start to park halfway into the occupied spot just beyond the one you want. If you turn properly when you back up you will line right up for a strait shot into the space.

Mikeski

#18 ·
If a space looks like it may be tight, i either back into it or find a parking spot further away

I have driven several 10 wheelers that were easier to drive down the city streets then my Ram does. I still am not sure just where my passenger side is, like is it 6" or a foot from the vehicle parked on the side of the street
It is easier to tell with a semi truck

#19 ·
I gave up all notions of a pretty truck. lol It is nice truck, but I knew from day one that someday someone is going to hit it or I'll hit something I don't worry about it. I drive a truck. not a 200,000 dollar Lamborghini Its built to take a beating. I treat it like my baby but she's gonna get dinged. I find that its easier to back into most spots especially if its gonna be tight. Plus the practice is good for you. If you practice parking in ridiculous spots the time you have to park somewhere you really shouldn't be you'll have no problem doing it.

#21 ·
HA. Great picture.

I'm sure eventually I'll get to the point where I'm not so intense about dents/scratches/marks, but on Day 4 of ownership, that girl will get treated like a freakin newborn.

#22 ·
I used to drive an old full size pickup so was used to driving a large vehicle. The problem I had was after my old full size I drove an s10 for years then came back to an even bigger full size. I was ok with it but what I had issues with was judging tire to curb distance lol. I always try to park right up on the curb to get my car farther away from the other car. I've had it for a year now and am very comfortable now parking it, I get about 2" away from the curb every time now with no fear :).

#25 ·
LOL that was my learning curve as well, especially pulling into a spot in front of another vehicle. My old truck had the steering radius of a battleship so I got used to that part but it does get easier with time, practice and just knowing your truck. I, too, park well away from others, too, though, which helps a lot. :)

- Cajun

#24 ·
i drove a 99 chevy before i bought my RAM. my RAM is slightly longer, higher and a fair bit wider then the chevy.
its a pain in the a$$ to find a spot around here to park my truck because they get smaller every year! i can park my truck now in places other people fail to park their car. i'm getting better or they really suck. but you get used to it too:smileup:

the only problem i had was not seeing the low hood of the car behind me because of the tall tailgate, fixed it by installing an aftermarked rearview cam.

#26 ·
the only problem i had was not seeing the low hood of the car behind me because of the tall tailgate, fixed it by installing an aftermarked rearview cam.
LOL when I was in high school I once left the house, walked AROUND MY MOMS CAR, got in my truck and fired it up, then proceeded to back into my mom's dodge stratus....I didn't see it over the tailgate (but apparently knew it was there as I just walked around it) haha.

#30 ·
I can feel your pain with trying to park, I live in a fairly congested area so sometimes parking is limited, I am coming from a s10zr2 which was pretty easy to park. I went down to the beach and practiced a little on saturday, and had the g/f stand in front by the bumper so I could get a better idea of the length of the hood and bumper....I just got back from the post office and did pretty well in a tight spot.....I to am trying to avoid all the dents and dings that I accumulated on the chevy so I can see me parking away in the parking lots...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.