DODGE RAM FORUM banner

No paint on underside of hood?

6K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  blkram2016 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Total n00b here, but I just purchased a 16 Black Sport. I test drove plenty of trucks, yes Ford and Chevy, and landed on a Ram. After driving the truck we decided to purchase it. After getting it home I did a full inspection and noticed a spot on the hood that seems to be a scuff in the paint and then was clear coated. I then popped the hood and noticed that the complete underside is not painted. Is this something Dodge is doing? I never really thought to look under the hood, yes stupid me, but I have never seen a company that doesn't fully paint the hood. Can anyone who owns a 2016 enlighten me? as I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see about fixing the paint defect. Thanks

#38 ·
Sorry to take so long to come back with an update.... almost 2 grueling months and Dodge is now going to buyback the truck. I cannot wait til this is all completely over with so I can troll the crap outta the dealer. So the dealer ended up sending the truck to have the hood repainted, not once, not twice but three times. With the sports hood scoops the paint shop would always nick the paint up puttng them back in. Not only that but the truck would come back with tons more scratches on it. So the first time I was a little irritated that I drive almost 20 minutes to the dealership just to find out that there is a couple of major flaws in the clear coat around the scoops and a couple of chips. The underside got painted and looked great. So they send it back and I told them, please look it over next time before you call me. So the hood gets repainted, or so they tell me. I get back to the dealership and the scoops yet again have clearcoat and chip issues. The salesman who sold me the truck comes up and proceeds to tell me its wax build up. I ask for the manager. Luckily the sales manager that I dealt with before comes out and goes whats te problem now. I told him that there is still issues with the paint by the scoops and that I asked for the truck to be looked over before I came back to pick it up. He tells me that to him thats acceptable. I say for a 50k or any new vehicle it is not. He then begins to argue with me calling me dude and finishes it off with telling me that i have buyers remorse. Never have I seen a person who is selling me something actually incite an arguement and then blame a customer for their faulty product. We ended up calling dodge since the dealership was still not willing to help convey our issues to dodge. Spent almost a month with speaking to dodge reps to finally get them to agree that something originally happened to this truck and that it needed to be replaced. The truck has been in my possession for approx 5 weeks out of the 3 months we owned it. For the most part I am happya with dodge But what kills me is dodge says I have to go through the same dealership for the new truck I will be getting. Sorry for the late update but I have been trying to bite my tongue through most of this until its over.

#40 ·
You would think dodge would look into this... right from the beginning this has shady all over it. The unwillingness to work with us and dodge would raise flags. Dodge had to call the dealership multiple times to bot only confirm our problems but also to start the buyback process. I cannot wait for this to be over.

#41 ·
Well... today was the day we ordered a new truck. The buyback division is letting us drive the original truck until we take delivery of our new truck, nice little compensation. The dealership was amazed that we got a new vehicle and even commented that they thought they would of just put a new hood on. I just answered ya would of of thought, but of course the guy didnt comprehend the jab at their poorly run dealership. Also made the comment that we must know someone because they see this once every year, which seems one too many. I actually feel bad for dodge because this all occurred because a horrific dealership. Cannot complain at all about dodge. We were allowed to order anything to the msrp of the original truck, so we decided on a rebel instead. Just glad I didnt undercoat or spray in bedliner the truck yet.

#42 ·
Wow You really should post names and the Dealership ya know FCA follows the forums, what you post will help others.
I had a dealership do the same thing on a repaint back in 1998 the bodyshop manager said If I were you I would call Chevrolet and demand a new truck because the paint job will be never as good as the factory . So I did and they replaced the truck after a year , so I was glad I persued it

#43 ·
Ram 4 door 1500 paint jobs have sucked for at least the last 5 years
My '09 Ram QC 1500 paint job still looks better then the 2016 Ram QC 1500 & i have only had it for 2 weeks
You can see the dust under the paint or clear coat, the orange peel is extremely bad
It needs to be wet sanded to make it look better & then at least one layer of clear coat would get rid of most of the orange peel

#47 ·
I am waiting for my 2016 to come back from the dealership
I dropped it off 8 days ago & they want it for another week
this may sound strange to some of you, but i am in no rush to get it back
I want the new Ram to be as close to perfect as i can get it

It went into the shop for a cut in the steering wheel, i can feel it every time i turn a corner, it is right at the top of the wheel
It also went in for 2 spots on the tailgate where dust was painted over with possibly Clear Coat, they could actually be measured as far as sticking out from the surface, they are located just above the tailgate handle.
The 3rd thing was the Right Rear door was out of adjustment, they said that it has been fixed.
The last thing was when they put on the Paint Protection on, they missed several spots on the hood & bed sides & i wanted it redone.

They are waiting on Dodge to approve the steering wheel replacement & the tailgate paint fix.
Dodge wants better pix & a better description of the flaws, the dealership is trying to give them everything that they could want.

The reason that i am in no rush, is because i don't have a place to park it & i have a perfectly good 2009 Ram

#48 ·
So just an update... the new truck came in about 3 weeks ago. I have been waiting on this third party to get the paper work in order so we can do the swap at the dealership. It is looking promising that it will be happening very soon, finally. I had to take the original truck back in because the moon roof was leaking when it would rain! I am praying that I just either got a dud or when all the work was being done the dealer decided to be the nice people they are and dick with me. Either way I am very concerned that the new truck has now been sitting on their lot for 3+ weeks now when we go to do the swap there will be a rep to assist and look over the trucks to make sure there are no issues. That being said I really wouldnt put it past this dealership to mess with something, like the seal of the moonroof. Maybe I am being skeptical...

#49 ·
I got my 2016 Ram 1500 back from the dealership after 3 weeks
Ram didn't think that my complaints were that serious, but they finally gave in
The body shop that the dealership uses did a piss poor job on the tailgate flaws & the door not closing completely
I did get a new steering wheel

Now my 2016 Ram is in a real body shop, i wanted to have it my way, i am paying to have what i wanted to order in the first place

most of the chrome will be gone after they disassemble the whole truck :)

it will get 2 full coats of paint & 2 layers of clear coat

Pix of the 2016 Ram on its way to being reborn
2 or 3 pages of pix

https://imageshack.com/a/dmo4/1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.