DODGE RAM FORUM banner

No paint on underside of hood?

6K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  blkram2016 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Total n00b here, but I just purchased a 16 Black Sport. I test drove plenty of trucks, yes Ford and Chevy, and landed on a Ram. After driving the truck we decided to purchase it. After getting it home I did a full inspection and noticed a spot on the hood that seems to be a scuff in the paint and then was clear coated. I then popped the hood and noticed that the complete underside is not painted. Is this something Dodge is doing? I never really thought to look under the hood, yes stupid me, but I have never seen a company that doesn't fully paint the hood. Can anyone who owns a 2016 enlighten me? as I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see about fixing the paint defect. Thanks

#2 ·
Do you not have a black insulation pad (or whatever it is) on the underside of your hood?

#6 ·
This was just a picture that i found on a site about the small size of the Eco-diesel engine
it shows some of the underside of the hood

#7 ·
Ya I spent a few hours looking at different dealerships, and found a few that took pics of the engine, showing some of the hood, and they all seemed to be painted. I have yet to ever see a new vehicle that doesnt have a fully painted hood. I love everything else about the truck so hopefully it will be an easy reolve. Ill update tomorrow. Just was curious if anyone else had the same issue or could tell me it definitely is a one time deal and dodge should fix it. Thanks guys.

#13 ·
I bet, I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure I could get one of my legs to stand on a frame rail in the engine bay and I have a Hemi. I guess they are all about the same size though and they habe to be able to fit the Cummins in there on the HDs. That thing takes up a lot of room

#14 ·
Lol... well the dealership was pretty nonchalant about it... b/c the hood needs to be painted for the original minor defect on the actual hood, they just said wow never seen that before, but dont worry it will get painted with the other defect. When I went for the estimate, for the original defect, they made it sound like they are going to attempt to spot treat it. I have a feeling this will be a pain in the butt ending...

#15 ·
That looks like a Keystone replacement hood. Every time I've had a truck in with paint like that, it isn't MOPAR genuine. I'd take a look around to see if the symbol is stamped in it..

#25 · (Edited)
So help me with the terminology on this, the hood in question is a pattern part, IE non genuine mopar that the dealer purchased painted and fitted? I didnt think they made sport hoods non genuine.

You seem like a knowledgeable person, let me ask you question if I may. Since FCA does not use VIN stamps / stickers on its body panels ( like imports do), which areas and stamps are you referring to? The Mopar symbol?

OP. Check the rest of the truck, hopefully you have clayed and detailed it since purchase, what do you think of the over all paintwork?

EDIT. I think I understand what Keystone is , its used parts.?

#17 ·
Thanks xxaler, I believe you are the winner. Ofc the dealership claims that is how it came, and i looked and there are no stamps, however I did have a buddy who has a 14 look and his doesnt either. His hood is painted underneath though. But as pictures show the nuts that secure the brack to the hood have been striped of their paint and hood shows wear where there used to be a larger bracket, sorry its dark out pics probably could of been a little better.

Attachments

#32 ·
Yeah that hood may be a OEM but definitely wasn't from the Assembly line.
I wish they had to tell everything that your truck has been into or done to.
My silverado had a hood repaint I didn't catch until my first wash job the dealership played all dumb thinking I would just go away, come to find out it was done by a body shop for the carrier and it is common supposedly BUT after mfg has no QC that looks over it . So I took it to the dealership left my keys and told them I would call my Credit union ,they fixed it in 2 days

#20 ·
Yep, 100% keystone. Someone dinged the hood real good in transport, or a collision in the lot. Check out the frame horns behind the bumper. If something serious happened, you'll see it there.

#21 ·
Now... Am I just getting picky, but the truck has 300 miles and iin my possession now for 2 weeks. With multiple scratches, that the dealership has fixed, the hood issue, and now looking more in depth the engine block is already rusted as well as the drive shaft, which has quite a bit for being brand new. I am really considering to see what the dealer is planning on doing to resolve this issue, I do love this truck but the ass ache with it seems unreal for being "brand new" I noticed a few unpainted spots on the front end where connections are made on the inside of the engine compartment and IDK if that is how ram is stock, going to run up to a different dealership and take a look tomorrow. Should I really expect rust this early? Mind you we have yet to have snow fall here...

#22 ·
Seems kinda seedy with the hood.

Have you honestly ever seen a steel driveshaft that wasn't coated in surface rust? Its normal and not a big deal. CV axles too.

#23 · (Edited)
To me its the fact someone is lying... Here is the pic of the block. everything is nice and new and the fact that it shows rust already is kinda weird to me, yes I get it that its gonna sooner or later rust but being new I wouldn't think that rust would be brand new truck! Sorry the pic of the block is hard to see.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
My engine and driveshaft was like that from new when I bought mine in July 2015. So that is all normal.

Your hood on the other hand is not. You see when I purchased my Ram 1500 new back in July 2015 of this year. After I detailed it, I found lots of paint defects, come to realize after much research ( on here ) that this is relatively normal for these vehicles. So all in all, I have learned not to trust A : the dealership and B more importantly products coming from the Warren Michigan Ram truck plant. I have learned that should I ever purchase a new vehicle from FCA again I am to go over it with a fine comb, almost treat the "new" vehicle as if I was buying a vehicle from Craigs List. Sad but true.

Listen, I have bought new vehicles in the past, there was never any need to go over them with a fine comb. I am aware that vehicles get dinged and mashed up and that dealers cover up the mess and sell as new, I can see this occuring all over the place not just with FCA dealers. My issue is trust and product confidence. Dealers can never be trusted ( especially sales )

#26 ·
I honestly dont know if there is an aftermarket company that makes the sports hoods, and I was unsure if the hood would be stamped with some type of FCA numbers or something identifying its FCA, I mean even the hood sprockets have chrysler on them. It appears they do not stamp them. Living in Ohio we rarely get sun, at this time but it seems every time we do and I look at it I discover new scratches. The newest are along the driver side of the bed, like some dummy was leaning in to look in. I have no doubt this occured at the dealership as I havent even driven the truck the past week due to the headache.

#27 ·
Seems like everytime I look something new appears... noticed there was some water dripping from the front fender corner, oh no wait thats paint. Anyone have any issues with that? Running up to a different dealership today to see if a sport has the same drfects and thats just how it is, or if this dealership is trying to really out the screws to me.

Attachments

#33 ·
The dealership already told me, oh we have no service record of anything happening to the truck or it needing any work... is it even a possibility that the hood made it out of QC like that? Id say very slight chance and even none with the factory paint stripped of the nuts for the hood bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.