DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Brake pedal pumps up

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  johnjohn301 
#1 ·
Fellow Ram owners, i have a new 2012 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. I t currently has 1017 miles on it and I have owned it for 2 weeks. I have noticed that my brake pedal pumps up if i press the brake pedal once then let up then immediately press it again (pumping the brakes). The brakes work good if i don't pump the brakes, but if i do i notice that the pedal is firmer sooner on the the stroke. Just like is there were air in the system or like a leaking wheel cylinder on older trucks.
When I first started looking to get a Ram, i test drove 4-5 different ram 1500 4x4s and the brakes all felt the same but i never thought of pumping the brakes during the test drives as i figured they are new trucks so nothing should be wrong with them. After i bought my truck, not sure when i first noticed it, but now i catch myself pumping my brakes to verify the brakes actually build up when pumping them. Since, i have went to my local Dodge dealer and test drove another new 2012 Ram 1500 and the brakes on that truck did the same thing.
Have any of you noticed this same behavior with your trucks?
I just want to get an idea of if taking it to the dealer would do any good.
Thanks

#2 ·
The brakes are not designed to be pumped, this is the job of the ABS. This behavior is normal because each time you press the brake pedal, you're using up about 1/3 of the available vacuum in the brake booster an it's not getting replaced before you hit the pedal again.

#3 ·
The brakes are not designed to be pumped, this is the job of the ABS. This behavior is normal because each time you press the brake pedal, you're using up about 1/3 of the available vacuum in the brake booster an it's not getting replaced before you hit the pedal again.
Ok, it that is the case then when i let off the brake pedal and press it again, the brakes work better? I mean on the first pedel depression, the brakes are slow to engage and then i let up on the brake pedal and immediately press them again, the brakes engage sooner and feel like they are working better. I think i may not have described the issue as well as i could have.

I traded in my 2010 Ford f-150 and the brakes on that were great (My opinion) and they were firm on the first push on the brake pedal. My 2012 Ram the brakes pedal feels alot softer and weeker than the Ford until i let up on the brake pedal and apply the brakes again. This second time applying the brakes, the brakes feel as good as my Ford, the pedal is firmer and the brakes engage sooner. I am not pumping the brakes to prevent wheel lockup, this is on nice dry payment and I am appling the brakes to stop normally. I am only pressing the brake pedal twice.

This new trucks brakes feel like the brakes on my old 68 and 69 Dodge pickups until i press the pedal a second time. It is kind of a let down after forking out 46K for a new truck.

I am more curious if other forum members trucks are doing the same thing as my instead being told i dont know how to use the brakes on my truck.

#4 ·
I have 2012 1500 ST Crew 4x4 and just took mine to dealer for this issue on Friday.
The truck stops fine, but I just wanted it checked as it is a different "feel" than any of my past trucks.
Dealer sent someone from the shop to drive my truck. Said he could definitely feel what I was describing, but said there was nothing wrong with the brakes.

They said they'd track the issue and if they found anything that was a problem they would call me to bring the truck back in.

RAMTECH's explanation makes a lot of sense. I'm good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.