DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Upper Control Arm Tire Rub!

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SAVAGERIDER 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2001 ram 1500 that I am having trouble with.

I have a set of 285/75R16 (30's) tires mounted to stock rims. My stock tires(as per drivers door sticker) says 245/75R16 as for the overall diameter of the tire, it's unknown to me.

The 1.6 inches of extra tire is rubbing mildly on my upper control arm and the metal is starting to flake off. I am wondering what I need to fix this problem.

I've been looking around and have noticed that different rims have different offsets.

Will I need a + or - offset rim to fix this issue? I also heard wheel spacers may be a solution but cause wheel bearings to wear out prematurely.

Can you suggest steel or cheap alu rims with my reccomeded offset?

Thanks guys for your help, any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

#2 ·
I know that wheel bearings would solve the rubbing problem but I do not know what if any negative effects they have on the truck.

G
#4 ·
You won't need a very thick spacer, maybe 1/4". It is true that moving the wheels outboard puts additional strain on the bearings but this isn't that much of a move out.

To avoid rubbing when going with a wider tire (up +2 or more), and you are also getting wheels, you need a bit more negative offset. Depending on how wide the whees and tires go, you might have to go to a +12 or a 0 or even over to the negative side so avoid rubbing.

A lot of tire and wheel shops will measure and/or test fit different combinations so you can make an informed choice.

For now, get some spacers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.