DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ram puddle light defect (Mods Sticky this for all 4th gens)

35K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  ramrob67 
#1 ·
Just want to let everyone know that the 4th gen puddle lights are not properly sealed from the factory and will become water logged and corrode. Both left and right on my truck are corroded already.

I just picked up another puddle light from a 2011 and you can visibly see the two halves are not properly sealed and it had some water in the unit.

YOU CANNOT BUY JUST THE PUDDLE LIGHTS FROM DODGE
(You must buy the entire mirror assembly)

**save yourself time and money and reseal yours with some silicone!**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-A8o4O3Gs

#5 ·
I read some where that if you rotate the mirror a certain way, you can get to the clip holding the glass in, once the glass is removed, you can access everything else

this video shows the problem, but not the actual replacement

luckily mine has not leaked

#6 ·
Had both replace under warranty......:smileup:.....ck stealership for replacement under warranty

#11 ·
Just want to let everyone know that the 4th gen puddle lights are not properly sealed from the factory and will become water logged and corrode. Both left and right on my truck are corroded already.

I just picked up another puddle light from a 2011 and you can visibly see the two halves are not properly sealed and it had some water in the unit.

YOU CANNOT BUY JUST THE PUDDLE LIGHTS FROM DODGE
(You must buy the entire mirror assembly)

**save yourself time and money and reseal yours with some silicone!**

Thanks for the heads-up, though I've had zero problems with mine.

Question: How exactly does plastic "corrode?" I always thought metalalic materials corrode due to a chemical reaction with the enviroment.

Never heard of plastic corroding.....

#14 ·
I live in western WA, it rains here CONSTANTLY. 300 days+ a year, its raining.

I have ZERO water in my 2011 puddle lights.

My headlights on the other hand...oh boy.

#15 ·
They have replacement LEDs for both the standard and trailer mirrors. Been that way for about a year.

Double check to be sure before ordering that they fit your model year.

Regular mirror puddle lamps:
68067759AA - left
68067758AA - right

Tow mirror puddle lamps:
68087239AA - Left
68087238AA - Right

Tow mirror turn signals:
68087235AA - Left
68087234AA - Right

Non trailer mirror light replacement:

NOTE: The Light Emitting Diode (LED) units and printed circuit board for these lamps are serviced only as a unit with the lamp and lens assembly. If any part of these lamps is damaged or ineffective, the entire lamp assembly must be replaced.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the mirror glass and case from the mirror housing (1).
3. Remove the three screws (2) that secure the front cover of the mirror to the mirror housing.
4. Locate the latch tab (4) on the lamp housing (3) within the lower, outboard side of the mirror housing.
5. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, pry gently and evenly at the parting line on the outboard side of the mirror between the mirror housing (1) and the front cover to separate them far enough to disengage the lamp rear flange (5) from the lower rim of the mirror housing.
6. It may be necessary on some vehicles to gently pry between the forward flange of the lamp housing and the mirror front cover to release the strip of adhesive-backed foam weather seal (4) affixed to the forward flange of the lamp from the inside edge of the mirror front cover.
7. Reach inside the lamp housing and depress the latch on the lamp housing toward the vehicle to disengage and lower the lamp assembly from between the mirror housing and the front cover.
8. Pull the lamp assembly away from the mirror housing far enough to access and disconnect the mirror wire harness connector (3) from the lamp connector receptacle and remove the lamp

Reactions: ant.l.jones.jr
#23 ·
Pudle light blown on my 14 ram sport

I have the same issue with pudle light led blown on both sides for the second time .
I have the town mirrors so they dont close automatic .i have to do it manual witch i never closr them and bulbs blown for the second time
Im taking it in again and aftet reading a few thread i am gonna tell the dealer to seal the light assembly and try from there .thankx guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.