DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Floating ground

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DesertDog 
#1 ·
Anyone ever heard of these trucks having a floating ground? I've been told that it started around '06, and it acts a lot like the old positive ground systems on the old British cars of the 60's and 70's.

Even though I've worked as an electrician, I'm having a hard time putting my mind around this, and how it works. A friend at work was saying that he was helping his son install an after market radio in his '06 Ram 1500, even using a wiring harness, he had a hard time finding a decent ground. He ended up running a ground wire directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

I haven't done much as far as electrical mods to my truck, so I've got no experience with this. When I installed my lights, I ran a ground wire directly to the frame, so it didn't pop up.

I was just curious.

Exco

#2 ·
I don't think theres a floating ground. With so much electronics modern cars have today, it would be too unrealiable to have that kinda circuitry. Noise and ground loops would appear everywhere from the radio till the cruise control, I think.

Your friend's case could be a matter of paint isolation or something like that.

Good luck! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.