DODGE RAM FORUM banner

wheel bearing

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dodge rammer 
#1 ·
need to replace my wheel bearings. got a price and all that...and i have mechanical knowledge...just heard from another 2nd gen owner that there a pain even though there a self contained unit. anyone have a good diy or even just a say if its hard or easy.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know if this will give you the correct url, but this is a pretty basic article. Hopefullly I won't be chastised for doing this.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html

If your ball joints haven't been done recently this is a good time to do them as well. And the first time is a TOTAL PITA so have lots of penetrating oil and presoak the crap out of stuff and use lots of never sieze when reassembling the unit bearings in the hubs.
I did mine for the 2nd time last week and they popped right out.

The hub nuts are the toughest things to do if they are rusted. Get a 3/4 breaker bar or a HD air wrench and prepare to break the bar :) Soak them liberally with a GOOD penetrating oil (not WD-40) and start a week early.
You will need a good press if you do the ball joints and a torque wrench to set everything right, especially the hub nuts.

I would do the u-joints as well if they are rusted or no greasable. DO NOT use cheap azz auto store parts. Only buy spicer joints. You will thank yourself later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.