DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How do i check service history?

12K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jagr200 
#1 ·
I bought my 2011 dodge ram 1500 about 3-4 months ago private sale, I have the 6 year 120,000 KM warranty

At pennzoil I went to get an oil change and they said i need both the diff fluids changed, transfer case and tranny fluid change .

How do I know when these are supposed to be due and check the service history of vehicle.

And how do I check what my warranty covers I cant find it anywhere online

#3 ·
The only history you can easily find is work performed by an authorized Ram dealer. local independent service centers keep records of past work perform but are compiled by name of person paying bill not vin#of vehicle.

There is no data collection system from independent or other manufacturers service centers to centralize information of work performed on a certain vehicle listed by the vin#. Receipts in the hand are your only resource other than work done at authorized Ram dealer.

In regards to doing your own service work......just keep your receipts, date perform, mileage.

Go to your local Ram dealership, everbody seems to pile on them about prices but I find service work to be reasonable. Get your oil change, while you are waiting have them explain the warranty, question what other service is suggested at this point in your vehicles mileage. Also ask them to check what eles has been done through Ram since vehicle was new by the vin#.

#4 ·
Do you have an owners manual? The service intervals for all fluids will be the back. There will be an A and B, one for hard driving and one for normal driving. If you don't have an owners manual, I bet there are several members that would be willing to share the info with you.

Is the 6 year/120,000 KM warranty factory or 3rd party? You should have a warranty book that has what all is and is not covered. If not, call the provider and request one.

As far as service records... if the previous owner had it serviced at the dealership, those should be available when they look up your VIN.

Oh i forgot to add, If I do these myself is my warranty void? do i have to get it done through a shop
DIY will not void your warranty, in most cases. Again, check to make sure. But, when you do DIY, keep diligent records, i.e receipts, dates, mileage, etc.

#5 ·
The dealership will likely tell you that you need to change all fluids

Send off for the owners manual
it reads taxi cabs, people that tow a heck of a lot, etc. need more frequent changes
that is called Heavy Usage

there must be some way to find out who the last owner was & ask them how they used it

You can change your fluids out just for peace of mind
I just like my vehicles to be in the best shape possible
Every fluid has been changed at least once, the only thing that i am not sure about is the fan belt & hoses, i now have over 100,000 miles on my Ram & i bought it in February of 2009
either the dealership or a certified shop has done everything, i do have all the records
I do have a Catch Can that collects oil vapor that would normally go into the combustion chamber

#6 ·
I'd ask the previous owner who did the service on the truck. You could then go to the shop/dealer where the service was and ask if they could provide you a history.

Does a Carfax report show service history? Granted it wont show work done by a shop that that doesn't report it to Carfax or stuff done DIY, but it may be another place to look.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.