DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Reduced Hard Drive Capacity on 730N

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bram11 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2011 Laramie with the 730N Media Center. It is suppose to have a 30GB Hard Drive, but when I tried to load some MP3s I got a message that the disk was full after about 10GB. When I checked the Hard Drive Disk Capacity it reported that the total capacity was slightly over 10GB.

I went to the dealer, everyone there agreed that it's wrong but nobody had an answer to my problem. I then went and checked out another brand new Laramie on the lot with exactly the same Media Center and it reported the same 10GB capacity.

Does anyone know about this problem? Are there any tools or methods to get more information about the hard drive status?

Thanks for helping.

#3 ·
I was told that the drive is 30Gb, but about 2/3 of it is used up with the NAV stuff. :(

#4 ·
Yeah, that's the first thing the people wanted to blame (the NAV). It's hard to believe it takes up that much space. I'd like to get to the bottom of this though. I do not find this acceptable, at least when they sold me the truck (even in the literature) they should've mentioned it (if it is the case). The hard drive was a huge selling point to me, now I feel like I've been cheated.

Also, is there any way of upgrading the hard drive to one with higher capacity?

#6 ·
I believe there is like all of North America and Canada in the nav database. So if one could remove say, all of the south east US if you never go there, then you may reclaim some space.

Reducing the bitrate of the mp3's and you may get more songs on, but quality go down.

#7 ·
Guys, thanks for your input. I just got off the line with the service dept. at Dodge. The tech. was thinking there were something wrong and wanted me to bring the truck in, then after a while he actually looked it up and found that my system is only spec'd to have a 10GB hard drive. (btw. my system is the 730N RHR). Later they called me again and said that the system does have a 30GB drive, but since it's a fully loaded system, I only have 10GB available.

Sounds like they're saying that the OS, NAV, and other features are taking up all the space.

The frustrating part is that this has always been a big deal to me and I was sold a truck with a 30GB drive (so I thought). I can't be too upset with the sales guy either, because not many people knows about this. As a matter of fact, in all the literature that I could find (including marketing specs) it says that the hard drive will be 30GB.

I guess, that's how they spin it. Technically, it does have a 30GB system, but I still feel somewhat cheated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.