DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Moan/whine at low speeds

16K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ford Apostate 
#1 ·
So when cruzing through parking lots or going through neighborhoods looking at houses, I'd say about15-20mph my truck makes a loud, annoying noise from the engine! Is this a common issue? It's pretty irritating and kinda hard to talk over, anyone else have this issue?:doh:

#2 ·
Mine had the same issue when brand new. It annoyed me greatly, but fast forward a few months and I never hear it anymore. Give it some time to break in and it will most likely fade away. If it doesn't, you could always put a magna flow muffler on and replace the whine noise with a deep rumble!

#3 · (Edited)
This issue is with the 2012's as well. We concluded it is transmission resonance at low speeds. There are no known fixes. I will try to find the thread.

EDIT: Here is the link http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103890

#8 · (Edited)
Guys, The noise is coming from the bolt (resonance transfer) that holds the transmission oil cooling lines to the fan shroud housing on the passenger side of the vehicle. Chrysler has a "fix" for the issue that involves putting foam refrigerant line insulation over the rubber portion of the transmission cooling lines. See this link for my posting on another forum site:

www.ramforums.com and search for "front end howling noise". Also do a google search for the same and you will see more information at www.bobistheoilguy.com

You need to isolate the transmission oil cooling line bracket from the fan shroud housing!

My solution was to remove the 10mm bolt and nut, leave on the plastic retaining clip, then insert a 2" long plastic push pin (black serrated plastic pin that is used on trim pieces) through the plastic retaining clip to hold the line in place. I also added 2 medium sized rubber grommets (one of each side of the plastic retaining clip to isolate the transmission oil line bracket) and pushed the pin through the 10mm bolt hole. The push pin holds the line securely and the noise is 98% gone (only hearing it one time when it was colder than 30 degrees).

I took off the foam insulation to see if it made a difference with my fix above. It did not - so I left it off and I'm going to leave it as is with the push pin installed. The push pins were available from a Ford dealership for around $2. Chrysler might have them, but the Ford push pin worked perfectly. How's that for a slap to Chrysler! Using a Ford part to fix a brand new Dodge Ram 1500!!!

I was lucky - I had 2 Chrysler Field Service Engineers look at my vehicle and they heard the sound and agreed there was an issue. They were the ones who had a bulletin about the foam insulation over the rubber sections of the transmission oil cooling lines. Hopefully Chrysler will have a more permanent fix rather than using the foam pieces.

Chrysler was opposed to removing the bolt as they felt the lines would eventually fail due to metal fatigue from the vibration. The plastic push pin method holds the line in place, but doesn't allow the resonance from the transmission oil cooling lines to transfer into the fan shroud housing which amplifies the noise like a drum. What's best is that it is an easy solution for less than $3 in parts that anyone can do.

Good Luck!

757guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.