DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone use Plasti Dip on there 2013 Ram truck?

13K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  IFellOver 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the Plasti Dip product on there trucks yet? I seen this product on other cars and just want to see it on a 2013 Ram, if anyone has worked with it yet.

#2 ·
So close I have the aluminum wheels on my Longhorn with the painted tan inserts. I want to do the wheels black with the tan inserts to match my truck. Just worried how it would hold up. Spent alot of money on this truck don't want to do anything to make it look bad. May have to powdercoat the wheels but looking into this product for the badges, if they have it in gloss.

Great thread looking forward to seeing others thoughts.

#3 ·
I have.. but only in subtle ways.... I was just trying to tone down some of the excess chrome on my Laramie
you might have to zoom in on my picture...
You can see the RAM logo dipped... and also a plastidipped black ring around my tail lights- the Laramie has a chrome ring around the tails and it was a bit much.
Plastidip solved that in 4 light coats

It's fun to play around with but I'd personally stop short of coating my wheels and grilles with it

#6 ·
I did the ram badge on the tailgate and grill to dial the chrome back a little. I plan to do the lettering I don't take off.

#11 ·
very nice guys.....hey SPOILER, what kind of tires you using ?..those look sweet.thanks

#16 ·
I’ve done all my badges and RAMs and am doing my wheels and exhaust tips tomorrow. I love the look of black on Copperhead Pearl, chrome is of the devil.

Attachments

#17 ·
I don't think I could ever get myself to put plasti-dip on my brand new $40k +/- truck.
seems degrading
but to each his own.

(yes i did the door moldings on my 2007 out of curiosity, but that truck is 6 years old and it's already looking like shit so I'm taking it off). I never felt right about having it on my truck anyway

#21 ·
bb16- the only pics i have so far are on a thread i started, heres the link,http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137998. the wheels are not dipped though, had the dealer powder coat them before i drove it off the lot

Deathstalkr- i did the badges on the truck, i tapped the "5.7 liter" off and did two heavy coats and removed the tape before it dried, worked ok, if looking close its not as smooth as the other badges due to the wet coats

#25 ·
I plasti dipped my badges, wheels and exhaust tips. It's actually holding up pretty well, I guess for at least a month now. Pretty easy process. Tape freely around what you are painting and tape newspaper around just to limit over spray. Just square it off around the emblem, doesn't have to be perfect because the paint on the truck itself peels right off. Light coats for the first 2-3 coats and how ever many after that is up to you. I did about 4 coats on the emblems and 5-6 coats on the front of the wheels, 3 on the back/inside. That's the great thing about this product is if you don't like the look, you can take it off real easy opposed to painting to stay. Funny at how well it holds up but how easy it will come off when you want it to.

#27 ·
For the wheels, I took them off to paint..didn't want to worry about overspray and wanted to get the entire wheel inside and out. No tape cause it will peel right off the tire by force or when it's ready to come off lol Like I said, it peels right off if you don't like it.

I had the truck washed and waxed at a car wash and everything still looks good!

#28 ·
I only plasti dipped my emblems. Have been considering the exhaust tips, just haven't taken the time yet.

Here are a few pics (hopefully they load). One from when I bought the truck on the lot and then the other 2 after I plasti dipped and made a few accessory upgrades.

(sorry my pics aren't better of the plasti dip)

Attachments

#30 ·
I dipped my mineral gray truck's wheels and steps with the anthracite gray color. The color is just a bit darker than the truck. So, it kinda was is a monochrome look in gray. I liked it. Unfortunately. The steps didn't make through the winter before the dip started peeling. I also sprayed all the badges and ram heads in the smoke color. It kinda gave the crome badges a matte dull black chrome look. Needsless to say, I never see another truck like it.

#31 ·
Me personally i love the stuff....on my 09 i had the rims done but iv since upgraded to a 2013 quad cab and i have done the rims and the chrome parts on the grill and sidesteps iv also done some on the front bumper and plan on doing the full truck eventually

#35 ·
Ive used the stuff a ton, its easy to experiment with before you make any potentially expensive permanent mod . I dipped the rims and masked off r/t style stripes on my '11 when i had it, and got bored one weekend and did both bumpers, outer grille and badges on my '13..... although I only left the front grille and bumper done for a couple days, too much contrast between the matte finish of the dip and gloss black paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.