DODGE RAM FORUM banner

18x9 vs 18x10

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  brandonjansen 
#1 ·
any fitment/rubbing/interference issues with an 18x10 wheel? i was originally looking for an 18x9, but found some wheels i like in 18x10. tire size will be 35x12.5. original wheel size i wanted was 18x9 with -12 offset. any issues (if any) with the 10" wide wheel? and what offset would give best look (or closest to the 18x9 w/ -12)

thanks!

#2 ·
With either one you'll probably end up rubbing slightly on the back of the inner fender. With the 18x10 you will for sure. But that can easily be fixed by a little mod/trimming. I think you've seen what I did to fix mine?.... If not check out my wheel tire thread linked in my signature below.

With a 18x9 -12 offset you'll be sticking out about 2" on the front. A 18x10 -12 offset will stick out about 2.5".

#3 ·
i have seen where you had to do some trimming. i already had planned on doing that with the 18x9's. can you elaborate as to what you did to trim? did you fold over that metal seam at all that sticks out?

thanks bud, you always seem to help me out with my threads, much appreciated !

#4 ·
I actually didn't have to trim at all. I first took the plastic trim pieces on the back of the fender off and then drilled 4 holes in the plastic fender liner and looped nylon zip ties through them back to a hole in the frame. That was all I needed to do to stop the rubbing. If you only run the 18x9's you can probably get away with that same solution. If you have more of a problem I've seen guys using heat guns to melt the plastic back to stop the rubbing or doing that combined with folding over that metal tab that sticks out.

The thing you have to remember too is that different tires all have different profiles as well and might stick out further in some areas. Your alignment also plays into it. Really what you'd need to do is get your wheels and tires on your truck and find out where you're rubbing and go from there. But no matter what width you choose you will be able to remove any rubbing. So you're pretty much set.

Honestly, I'd go for the 18x10's to have a slightly deeper lip. I somewhat regret not going for that myself.

#5 ·
yeah i figured that my best course of action will be to fit the wheels/tires when i get them, and just go from there.

thanks for the input!

#7 ·
definately will post pics when its done. I installed my RCX lift (2.5" front and 1.75" rear) last week and it added so much to the truck. dont wanna post pics till the wheels and tires are on though.

ill also make sure to post pics of any trimming/modifications i do for fitment to give a hand to some of the other guys looking for answers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.