DODGE RAM FORUM banner

First Review on my new baby!

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  jbr 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after ordering back in December I finally picked up my new sweetie yesterday and drove her home!

So first I want to say that my basis for comparison here is my 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. I ordered this truck as well back then loaded to the nuts, so as far as what GM could provide for luxury I had it in that thing. It had the 5.3 V8 with 3.42 rear end. Now I do not have one bad thing to say about my chev, she was rock solid and completely reliable the entire time I had her. Now that being said......

My 2014 Laramie Longhorn w/3.92s. Black exterior with black/cattle tan interior. I ordered this baby with everything with the exception of three things: Ram box, air suspension and front park assist. I leveled the front and lifted the back 1" to keep the rake back to front. I have TOYO Open Country AT/2's sized at 275/65/R20. I also threw in some super springs in the rear and a set of Timbrens to help with loading if I just have my quad in the back and a moose as well and also when I'm loaded up in the box and pulling around one of my toy haulers going hunting or fishing.

I do plan to de-badge the old girl when I have some time and also when it warms up, wax the F&$K out of her.

Now holy SH$T! Talk about a luxury truck. This thing makes my 09 LTZ look like a damn pinto! The fit and finish on the inside is second to none as far as I have seen in my research before purchase. All the little things that I didn't even know till I drove it very early this morning like the little LED's that light up the door handles and cup holders in the door panels....just like nice little treats! Now, I only have just over 500kms on her but everything in this truck works and it works very well. Everything is tight and solid and this gal rides as smooth as silk.

Some questions a lot of guys have that I have seen in threads:

Going up 1" in tire size: If there is any loss in power I sure as heck can't tell. This thing has more jam than my grandmothers raspberry patch!

I've read threads about guys talking about hard downshifing and such....I have no idea what you guys are talking about. This thing is smooth as butter up and down through all the gears. It must have figured out my driving style before I got there....;)

No weird smell.

The alpine audio system is great. It is better than the bose system that was in my Chev. I do wish it would just get a little bit louder (trust me it does get loud enough), so I might just replace the door speakers at some point in time....maybe. In my younger days I used to be putting speakers and amps and subs and all that crap in my other vehicles and this factory alpine setup holds its own just fine.

The headlights as just fine. I have no issue with them at all. The lowbeams are great and the highs are good too, perhaps not quite as good as my Chev but pretty close....although I just might have to re-point them is all.

Mileage! So on my first tank I did about 75% highway and 25% city. I probably averaged 120kph on the highway most of the time...working the pedal and all for the break in period. I did not hand calculate it, but the computer told me I was an even 16L/100. Regular 87 fuel and temps ranged from -10 to mostly -20deg Celsius. I made the same trip in my Chev and it averaged 14.5. So I am already pleased with the mileage and knowing that it will only get better.....yup, very satisfied.

Nice bonus, I got the sport mirrors instead of the tow mirrors with my tow package. :)

So the negatives. Well, it is really easy to speed in this thing, I actually think I got a photo radar ticket like 5 blocks from the dealership because I didn't realize how fast I was going...tons of power and pickup! I have since learned to feather the ol throttle :4-looney:

All in all I am beyond happy with this little lady....now, the pictures

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The leveling kit I just ordered from the dealership because the cost of getting the Bilsteins with shipping would have cost me the same price and the boys at the dealer, plus they only charged me 2 hours labor for it all including the alignment so I really couldn't go wrong with that, along with warrantied work as well.

Tires I got from a buddy at a tire shop at cost and just had the dealership throw em on.

Fit and finish is pretty sharp. I couldn't find any discernible 'gaps' on either side of tailgate as guys have talked about or in the front grill and headlights. Everything seems that it is where it is supposed to be. Paint looks good all over :)

#9 ·
Congrats. Realize that with those tires your speedo will be off as well as mpg. Probably can't explain away the speeding ticket either. "Your honor, I just put these over size tires on and this new Ram is so much quicker..." If you get a tuner, you can adjust the speedo and lots of other things that make it easier to get a ticket.

#12 ·
Sharp truck, have almost the same thing but in Western Brown. I ahae to say in person the 275/65s look to be just perfect for these trucks either stock or with a level. They don't look stuffed and should have minimal impact on MPG, good size for a daily use multi-function rig. For some reason in pictures they look smaller than in real life.

#14 ·
Ok,
Mileage! So on my first tank I did about 75% highway and 25% city. I probably averaged 120kph on the highway most of the time...working the pedal and all for the break in period. I did not hand calculate it, but the computer told me I was an even 16L/100. Regular 87 fuel and temps ranged from -10 to mostly -20deg Celsius. I made the same trip in my Chev and it averaged 14.5. So I am already pleased with the mileage and knowing that it will only get better.....yup, very satisfied.
You do realize that 14.5L/100 is better mileage then 16L/100 right? :smileup:

#17 ·
I had a Sierra Denali AWD with the 6.2 and a Blackbear tune. Despite all the power on paper, the GM was a slug without the tune. Always had a lousy idle and finally a major engine failure with the cam and lifters that cost me $6000+. Despite only 50k miles, the warranty had just timed out. In winter, when cold in the morning, it rattled and clattered like a diesel for the first ten minutes. It never idled smooth and after the repair, it was making different noises that wasn't reassuring. The DI 5.3's on the 2014 GM's are just as anemic and the SLT's are huge money.

So I made my way down to the Dodge dealer and test drove the same Sport I now own. It had just been prepped. About 3 minutes into the drive, the search was over. With the 3.92 and Hemi, you don't have to coax the ponies out like GM. You get it all and right now. Sold! Such a smooth engine, beautiful shifting tranny, and a better ride. See ya GM...

#18 ·
i'd drive that...nice truck dude

#20 ·
Nice truck...time to have fun with her! Congrats!

#22 ·
Ok so, I was gone with it through the mountains this weekend and man...still impressed as heck! I haven't had a chance to sit around and really play with the settings in the tuck or really take my time and read through the manual (although I did about a month ago, electronic copy) and I know I got a ton of info from you guys on forum reading through threads and such, but I must say, everything is quite user friendly with the settings on the center console and and driver HUD.

The ride and power are definitely there, this gal just floated through the mountains like nothing.

For those that might have some trepidation....don't even hesitate, although mine is pretty much a top of the line model, with what I have, I am super impressed. As I have mentioned, I had a 09 silverado LTZ and I also have a 09 F-250 Lariat diesel for my work truck and this Longhorn is 5x the truck either of those are hands down. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#24 ·
Nice truck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.