DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Advice please!!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  James Posey 
#1 ·
I am wanting to buy a 2003-2005 dodge ram 2500 cummins. What miles can the truck have, so that it won't cause me any problems down the road?

#2 ·
Average for a 9 - 11 year old truck is going to be about 120K. Find one with the least mileage you can, of course. Some will have more, some less. But remember, a well taken care of diesel engine will last you upwards of 300K. Good luck on the search and let us know what you find.

#4 ·
dont know about the 03 and up. i have a 2001 cummins just hit 408,000
had to get a new tranny at 275 but besides that nothing else major has been done (knock on wood) i bought the truck with 150,000 on it from family member. if you take care of them they will take cere of you.

#6 ·
What did ya buy

Just wondering what you bought. I found a 2001 HO 6 speed a few months back with 155500 on the clock. 3/4 ton 4x2 well taken care of highway miles truck. I sold my V10 1998 1 ton, but swapped interiors out first so my diesel has the gray leather now. I loved every Dodge I have ever owned but understand why the diesel fanatics are that way now. I pull a 32 foot fifth wheel at about 13000 lb. I have Firestone air bags on rear axle with onboard air compressor. The HO 2001 5.9 6 speed has a 1 ton M80 posi rear axle factory installed. I have weighed my rig to make sure rear tires are within there rated load. 12 to 14 mpg towing. My V10 got 6 to 7 mpg. Empty i'm at about 22 mpg at 65 mph. 55 =23 to 25 mpg. Man what a truck. I have gone through almost everything on my truck making sure its dependable and well cared for. If you find an older diesel check the brake line behind the fuel tank running down the frame. I have had to replace on my 1998 and my 2001. Rust on both trucks. Ive done ball joints and of course a new airdog lift pump. I installed gauges to keep a eye on fuel pressure and exhaust temps. I plan to run this 2001 as long as I can. No pollution controls on the 2001 to speak of. I have installed 4 inch exhaust. I never see mine smoke and the mileage I'm getting it has to be pretty clean burning. This is my third 2nd Gen. A new 1995 3/4 ton 4x4. The 1998 V10 1 ton 4x4. Last but not least my 2001 HO 5.9 Cummins 4x2. I am very pleased to have come across this truck a few days after the owner traded on a new Dodge Cummins. Im happy to fix and maintain this truck from now on. Damn what a truck. :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.