DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1998 dodge cummins 2500 24v - intermittent power loss, need diagnosis

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dtrmmr 
#1 ·
hi I am in desperate need of a diagnosis for my truck issue.
I have a '98 dodge cummins 2500 3/4 ton 24 valve, 5 speed, of which has an intermittent hard start and also at random occasions while driving the engine will cut out for a split second resulting in check gages light to come on then, but goes away right after and continues driving normally. from an outsiders point of view they would think id let the clutch out too early on the edge of stalling, but that's not the case.
Previous Repairs:
The lift and injector pump both were replaced a bit over 2 years ago, I recently jus replaced the lift pump once again, the fuel filter, and the air filter;
I have an Edge Juice chip installed however that too has been fully disconnected and ruled out, as well as the command start (compustar).

Most people suggest it might be the injector pump but I've had the truck in to multiple mechanics and they have leaned away from that, but it also occurs so irregularly that any mechanic or dealer I've taken it to, hasn't been able to duplicate the symptoms.
If anyone has any suggestions or opinions please message me!

#3 ·
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge mounted near the high pressure pump inlet? Do you see a low fuel pressure when the problem occurs? With a new lift pump, it seems unlikely its a fuel pressure problem, but it's always the first thing I look for when there is an intermittent problem. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I saw when my lift pump began failing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.