DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tow mirrors to power folding mirrors

6K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  jasonLmarsh 
#1 ·
I am trying to convert my 2014 Ram Sport from Tow mirrors to the standard power folding mirrors.

I purchased some power folding mirrors along with the necessary door modules and drivers side window switch. I swapped the power folding mirrors, modules and switch onto my Ram and got everything to work, except for the power folding feature, like most everyone else that has done it.

In order to get this feature to work, my rams configuration has to be changed by engineering and the new sales codes for the power folding feature have to be flashed to the BCM.

While this procedure has been done at several dealers in the U.S. my dealer after discussing with engineering here in Toronto says they are not allowed to do it.

In addition they tell me that the power folding code LER is a US code only. Is this B.S.?

Is there anyone in Canada that has done this swap successfully?

#4 ·
I was told the same thing, they can make all features work except for the power fold.

Makes no sense really, it seems they are making thing more difficult for themselves and the customers. They have to build or at least program trucks differently based on the type of mirrors they have, and the owners are losing the ability to modify and change stuff on their trucks.

Thats what guys live for!!!

#6 · (Edited)
My wife had an o5' passat and there was a device (can't remember what it was called now) that gave you access to all of the programing. US had auto windows up and via the key fob turned off and things like that. I think they were around $200-$300. i Found a guy locally that had one and paid him $50 to program here car the way i wanted it.
does such a thing exist for the ram?

Edit: it was called a VAG-COM

#7 ·
Any updates

Anyone in ontario get this flash yet ??
My dealer says it's impossible

#8 ·
"I am trying to convert my 2014 Ram Sport from Tow mirrors to the standard power folding mirrors.

I purchased some power folding mirrors along with the necessary door modules and drivers side window switch. I swapped the power folding mirrors, modules and switch onto my Ram and got everything to work, except for the power folding feature, like most everyone else that has done it."

I would love to do the same thing to my 2014 Sport. What all did you have to buy to make the conversion and where did you buy? I am in Texas. Hopefully my dealer will change the codes for me.

#11 · (Edited)
My dealer in Langley(Vancouver) BC told me the same thing. All the trucks on their lot had tow mirrors, but I wanted the power fold mirrors so I had to wait. I asked if they could just swap them out and they said no, that the programming in the trucks computer didn't allow for it. Maybe it's just a Canadian issue?

#12 ·
Same issue here ... dealer swapped my tow mirrors for power fold before I took delivery and has not been able to get the power fold feature to work.

#15 ·
If you do not have puddle lights or blinkers built in I doubt you have the correct wiring harness for it. I have had several discussions with my local service department and he said that unlike days of old, most of the trucks have different wiring harnesses on them. So if you don't have those options on your mirrors, it's doubtful that you'd be able to add them just by adding the new mirrors that have those features.

#23 ·
The only thing that my dealer changed was the sport mirrors. He removed the tow mirrors on my 14 Limited, and replaced them with the sport mirrors -- no door modules nor mirror control switch. He did download the soft ware for sport mirrors and everything works --heated function, turn signal, puddle lights, but no power fold.

He added the power fold switch initially, but the power fold did not work, so he removed it, and all other functions continue to operated properly.

#24 ·
Here is my thread I did when another member and I did this exact swap in about an hours time. Pictures are in the thread with a picture of the module everyone has questions about.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159175

The reason the power fold option can't work with the tow mirrors is because there is no electric motor in them like they have in the sport mirrors. It has nothing to do with computers or programming, it just simply does not have the motor to be able to do it.

#33 ·
I haven't pulled codes, but there has not been any CEL lights on the dash since the swap. I figure since my '11 door modules don't have the temp sensor logic in them, they must be simply ignoring the unnecessary hardware. I can say that the power fold wiring had no pins on the door module to engage the wiring in the plug. So whatever wires the temp sensor uses are probably not pinned in the module either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.