DODGE RAM FORUM banner

P0306 Problem

20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tmwood72 
#1 ·
This has been driving me nuts. I hav been coming up with an 0306 DTC and sometimes a random order misfire 0300 and 0308. I have replaced everything, the cat, plugs, wires (8.5mm with convolute) rotor, crank sensor, cam sensor, MAP, IAC, Injectors and O2 Sensors, you name it I changed it and I keep coming up with these codes. Mostly the 0306 code which I know they are the #6 and #8 cylinders. I also did the TSB for the wire routing and nothing seems to work. Could this be a problem in PCM? Any suggestions would help. I am going crazy here. The truck is 1997 ram 2500 4x4 5.9 liter with the VIN of "Z". I also checked the compression and it is fine on all cylinders. Please tell me there is someone out there that can help.......

#5 ·
DEANTHECRABMAN. I looked down thru the throttle body and had seen an oily residue at the bottom of the intake. But I am not using any oil. Is this common? Would this destroy the O2 sensor after the cat as well? I am not blowing any smoke at all. This has driven me nuts for over a month now.

#8 ·
Causes

A code P0306 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty spark plug or wire
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Running out of fuel
  • Poor compression
  • Defective computer
Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.