DODGE RAM FORUM banner

01 2500 mods

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dtrmmr 
#1 ·
just got an 01 2500 diesel and im new to the page. im looking to get a little more power without changing a lot of parts. i am installing a k&n filter and a new exaust with an exaust break. this truck will be hooked to a trailer 90% of the time so i would like to get a little extra without going overboard. i have been told about changing the timing and the wastegate to get some power. im not up on everything you can do with stock parts. i have built diesels in the past but im talking beyond street legal. any advise or comments would be great. thanks

#2 ·
Hello and welcome aboard as I noticed this is your first post. Be sure to stop the "newbie" section and tell us a little more about your truck. Pics are always a bonus.
As for your diesel, there are many bolt-on mods that can drastically improve your power and mileage. Based on what you've said already, I would look at a tuner. Hang tight and see what other ideas others offer.

G
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I'd start with a better flowing intake and exhaust. Do some research on the upgrades you can do for upsizing turbo's, installing programs, upgrading lift pumps and changing other fuel delivery components.

Be careful about programmers. Some make power by only dumping more fuel into your engine and creating excessive exhaust gas temperatures. A lot of turbos have failed as a result.

Look for a complete system that offers intake and exhaust mods, a modified program and other ancillary upgrades that may be available that are engineered together. And make sure that you get an EGT probe and gauge installed.

Lastly, when researching these parts (Banks has the most integrated system I've seen BTW) talk to the shops about how they work with upgraded turbos.

Have a great time with the mods!

#4 ·
first get a fuel pressure gauge. then after market lift pump like fass, airdog, or raptor. then look at a bhaf instead of the K&N filter since you will likely pull oil through the k&n into the turbo. when looking for power you would probably be best with either edge juice with attitude or quad addrn so that you get the power by fuel and timing along with the gauges integrated into them. also if manual look at a better clutch or if auto look at a tc and vb. the stock of either can and will likely fail under stock and seldom hold up to anything aftermarket.

#5 ·
I have a 2001 Ram 2500 diesel and I also wanted more power for towing.

I agree that the first step is getting an aftermarket lift pump (I have a 950 GPH FASS) and a fuel pressure gauge.

My other power mod was an Edge Juice with Attitude computer with the optional Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) probe. This computer also includes a fuel pressure gauge. The computer can also be set to monitor the EGT and remove power boost if the EGT gets too high.

This combination gives me all the power I can use without over stressing my stock drive train. Therefore, I have not bothered with exhaust, intake or any other mods.

No matter what power mods you make, the only way to generate more power is to run more fuel and air through your engine. That means higher EGTs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.