DODGE RAM FORUM banner

"CARBON" build is taking shape.

14K views 104 replies 27 participants last post by  fastNugly @ RP 
#1 ·
I have been moding my 09 Ram 1500 QC 2wd almost since the day i bought it. I have never really had a "theme" build or what ever, just moded to my hearts content. But I have been inspired by others here to come up with a theme. It took me a bit to find something different. I am going with CARBON. of course i am blacking out most of the truck, but wanted another demension to the blackness. in comes CARBON FIBER. I jsut recently started adding a small amount of the new name sake, CARBON. thats why i am just now starting my build thread. the ideas are constantly flowing and the truck always transforming. so here are the pics and progression up to now. lots of pics.....
Bone stock

first mod, painted the calipers red

Mod 2, window tint

mod 3, rhino liner

Then a ripple in time changed everything,

mods 4 new body work

mod 5 red stripes

mod 6, painted the chrome grill to match body color

See less See more
Reactions: KA1OTE
#37 ·
just adding more recent pics of the truck

added NITTO NT420s tires in 285/50/20 and removed the steps.

#39 ·
I know, I know, I plan on getting it powder coated gloss black. But the wife keeps tight reigns on the truck funds. Just put tires on and next I am putting on an AFE intake, and drilled and slotted brake rotors with new pads. Then a few small projects, like painting the wheels, and I am going to have to repaint the front grill, It is starting to chip where I didnt do a very good job preping the first time. then when the bumper comes off I am going to plasti dip the exhaust tips.

#42 ·
most recent mod, AFe intake

removed the engine cover, trying to decide if i want to paint it or just leave it off, and maybe apply some HEMI orange to the intake manifold.

#48 ·
oh I already have just need to upload it to you tube. I did a before and after from the exhaust point of view and from the engine bay as well. I just need to figure out how to edit them all together.

#55 ·
thanks guys I am really loving the intake and exhaust. I still want to add headers and a tuner in the future.

for the lighting, I really cant help too much on the over head light, only because i used a red LED that i had lying around, and i dont even know for sure how i acquired it, so i couldnt tell you the specs on it. But, all i did was unplug the original light and removed it form the console, then the LED just wedged down into the existing hole and i hard wired the led into the stock wire harness, the LEDs are polar sensitive so if they dont work they might be wired back wards.

the bed light as you guess are tailgate light bars, I just made sure i got ones with reverse lighting. I have relays mounted under the dash and ran the power wire under the truck and up to the front of the bed under the bed cover. The red lights are wired to a switch in the dash that also powers the RAM logo. I plan on adding more red accent lights in the future. the white lights are wired to a switch that is mounted in the bed near the tailgate, that one i taped into the trailer harness for a hot constant power so i could have bed lights with out have the key in the switch.

Did i make that as clear as mud? lol

#57 ·
Did i make that as clear as mud? lol
Perfectly, thanks for the detailed info! Gives me more fodder to contemplate over on the bed lighting topic.

#58 ·
bought a crankcase vent filter and plasti diped the chrome

also plasti dipped the yellow caps, brake reservoir, washer fuild cap and coolant over flow cap

#59 ·
ok here it is the DODGE logo from the top of the center dash stack. got it cut out and fitted, just need to get more red LEDs. and get it wired up, for got to get a pic on the truck but i will have one soon.

the back view, this one took a little more work to get it to fit in the tight space, then I used gorilla glue to afix it.

side profile of the plexiglass

you can see the raised letters here

Reactions: fastNugly @ RP
#63 ·
I will add all the pics i have and explain what i can. Idid cut away the small up right slats that was just behind the filler panel, then I also had to notch the larger bracing also.

This is the filer panel before cutting.

filler panel after center cut away. I needed the ring for the mounting clips so it would mount back up later

here the slats are removed only leaving the larger braces that i did later have to notch. you can see one of the slats on the ground.

here i started laying out the shape card board. the collector tube is a piece of 3" tube. the back side of the assembly is also pieces of 3" tube that i cut in half long ways and used them as the curved backing.

the plastic tubes was from a air intake mock up kit i bought form autozone a few years ago. it had different elbow angles and straight oieces.

here i started laying the fiber glass, then i removed the cardboard

you can see the box of air intake pieces in the box on the floor.

this piece is the adapter i used on the airbox. i just cut out a hole and fitted it form the in side of the box, and i reinforced it with a piece of diamond plate on the outside.

test fitting it here. You can also see the notches i made on the main braces.

you can see the diamond plate here and the 4" flex duct. I did go back and plasti dip the ducting so it didnt stand out so bad.

you can see the ducting after it was plasti dipped, it blends in a bit better now.

hope that helps. I tried to take as many pictures as i could.

#66 ·
fastNugly, thanks, working with the fiberglass is not too bad just very messy. and you have to be patient. as for the filter I now have the aFe stage two on it now. I went with it because it let me retain the lower half of the stock air box jsut for this reason.

Sean, I wouldnt say I notice a big gain or what ever. BUt i did notice certain situations that the truck seems to be more efficient. I have heard that the air temps a the intake are not much over the outside ambient temp with this mod. and that is always good to be able to get cooler air to the motor.

Reactions: snrusnak
#70 ·
I bought mine from ebay, Just make sure its the 3M di-noc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.