DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What's with you Ram guys?

16K views 117 replies 54 participants last post by  Morticia 
#1 ·
Three times so far this year, I've been accosted by big fat pickup trucks while I'm just out cruising in my 2013 5.0 Mustang, and each time it's been a Ram! Wth is going on?

The first time was about two months ago, on a 50 mph road with stoplights about every 1/2 mile. Some old jackwagon in a newer black Ram starts revving his engine next to me. I thought he was having a stroke or something, so I just watched in amazement as he squealed away when the light turned green.

I chalked that one up to a mentally unstable person and forgot about it. Then a few weeks ago another Ram pulled alongside me on the highway and starts speeding up and slowing down next to me. I couldn't really believe that he wanted to race me, and I just assumed that he was part of the same family tree as the first nut, and I went about my business and he eventually squealed away.

That got my curious about Rams, so I looked them up on the internet and was not surprised to find out that they are very heavy and quite slow, which is what I suspected.

So this past Friday night I'm out with a buddy, and a 3rd Ram again starts revving at my at a light. At this point I said you have got to be kidding me, so when the light turned green I romped on it and dropped about 10 lengths on the Ram. I wait at the next light for the guy to finally show up, and of course he's staring straight ahead like nothing happened, but his engine is idling normally instead of revving up to 5k. Funny how that works.

Did I just happen to run into the 3 dumbest guys in the world, by coincidence, or is there something in the Ram gene pool that I should know about?
BTW they are a cool looking truck, so when I buy a house and I don't need something fast, I would definitely consider a Ram.

See less See more
#87 ·
To the OP:
You are bold. I will give you that and only that. I can't stand arrogant mustang guys that think they own the streets when in reality they are driving a chick's car. Don't get me wrong, I mean no offense to the women because I know there are probably some female ram owners on here that could tear you a new one lol

To Chefred112:
I generally don't like lowered rams but that is a sweet looking ride.

And hey guys, at least it isn't one of those annoying civics with the loud mufflers that scream doing 15mph.

#92 ·
I think the new mustangs are a real step. The new Hellcat really looks great and high performance. There is a lot to choose from.

I get the same crap when I drive my vette. People pull up and want to go, but they are too cheap to go to the drag strip.

Truck is for hauling and towing, vette's for road courses, Sorento's for getting groceries, Goldwing is for feeling the wind, JD is for cutting the grass and tilling the garden.

Each has their specific use. Used to be you had to know something about cars to make them fast. Nowadays, anyone can just get a loan for a fast car.

#98 ·
I love my new Ram.

I also love my Mustang.

Different vehicles built for different purposes. Why the hate, I'll never know... Personally, the only "car hate" I've gotten was for my Infiniti. A fellow Mustang owner took a look at it, turned a sideways smirk, and made a crack about it being "Jap crap." The fact that it made almost 100hp more than his Mustang I guess didn't factor into the calculus.

I buy vehicles based on what I need and which one is the best value to fulfill that need. I'm sure most here do much the same. Not sure what the OP's point was.

Anyway, my $.02. In the end, why argue about it online when there's cool rides to drive?

*heads for the garage*

#104 ·
Hey guys, I want to thank all of you for an hours worth of good entertainment. Out on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico waiting on a work boat to bring out some heavy equipment so I had some time to kill. Everything is relative. My 2014 Ram sport 5.7 Hemi may not be real fast but to me it is fast enough. To think that I can drive a 5600 pound crew cab and still get 22 mpg makes me happy enough and when I push the pedal to the medal I get a really good feeling. I had a 1969 Dodge Sport with a 340 CI V8 with a 4 speed manual that I thought was fast then too, but there was always something faster. I had lots of fun driving that too but I never tore into other guys because they couldn't beat me in a race. And the amazing thing was that we all lived through those testosterone fueled years. It was all about just having some fun in our early 20's and we sure did do that. 5.0 has to learn to have respect for other people, unless of course the other person is a radical islamic suicide bomber coming at you then you just shoot him in the head with a .45 and hope you don't miss and hit the dynamite.

#105 ·
Hey guys, I want to thank all of you for an hours worth of good entertainment. Out on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico waiting on a work boat to bring out some heavy equipment so I had some time to kill. Everything is relative. My 2014 Ram sport 5.7 Hemi may not be real fast but to me it is fast enough. To think that I can drive a 5600 pound crew cab and still get 22 mpg makes me happy enough and when I push the pedal to the medal I get a really good feeling. I had a 1969 Dodge Sport with a 340 CI V8 with a 4 speed manual that I thought was fast then too, but there was always something faster. I had lots of fun driving that too but I never tore into other guys because they couldn't beat me in a race. And the amazing thing was that we all lived through those testosterone fueled years. It was all about just having some fun in our early 20's and we sure did do that. 5.0 has to learn to have respect for other people, unless of course the other person is a radical islamic suicide bomber coming at you then you just shoot him in the head with a .45 and hope you don't miss and hit the dynamite.
Eggzactly....

#108 ·
Wow, what a read. Its funny....every time I go to vancouver, I always get people checking out my truck. Gas stations, pubs, grocery store.....something about 4th gen ram that makes people look. Id rather spend 60 grand to ride high in style than 40 on a mustang. I dont line up with anyone cause I dont want my kid to be a knucklehead street racer. OP, save your money on tickets, tires, blown bottom ends, tranny work, clutches, insurance deductibles from when you inevitably wrap your car around a pole, etc...buy a ram and reclaim your manhood.

Reactions: PaulMys
#111 ·
Crucial for a powerful boulevard cruiser like this, the 2015 Mustang will have a top that folds just about level to the trunklid to enhance styling. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. How does the 2014 Mustang GT convertible perform on the track?

In a straight line, the car accelerates from 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, about the same as a 2011 Camaro SS convertible with a manual transmission. The automatic Camaro SS gets less power. The Mustang GT with a six-speed auto completes the quarter mile in 13.2 seconds at 108.5 mph, not bad for a 3786-pound car. Of course, opting for the lighter coupe would yield better performance, but those numbers are notable improvements over an automatic transmission 2012 Mustang V-6 convertible that hit 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and finished the quarter mile in 14.8 seconds at 95.3 mph. The Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V-8 produces 420 hp at 6500 rpm and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4250 rpm.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...tang_gt_convertible_first_test/#ixzz3NgkjfkQg

Eventually, we all learn that no matter how fast we think we are, there will always be somebody faster,,,

#117 ·
Low 4's are easy, I'll be into the high 3's later this year :gy:

...with 4WD traction

I really wish I had a 4x4, I'm having a hard time with my traction with my 4x2. It is my main issue I'm tying to fix, I want to do a high stall TQ but will need some serious meat to keep traction. Looking forward to seeing those upper 3's BlackHemiRam:SHOCKED:

#116 · (Edited)
Hah, just stumbled across this thread, likely one of the same trolls that stalks the LX forums constantly.

This is what happens when spoiled youths with no ambition ride life receiving participation trophies. You become bored, lose interest with reality, don't socialize in public, become a hermit crab, hide behind a computer, and taunt others with a guilt trip... all in hopes of finding attention.

How come none of the 5.0's what attention in the Wisconsin winter months?:4-dontknow:

#118 ·
I'm sorry you had to deal with idiots and you had to step out on them in you're stang. Let me say something though as a mustang owner you cannot talk about heavy vehicles. Especially owning a 2013 hunk of metal at 3501 lbs. Also fyi the regular cab Dodges dont weigh much more than you at 4600 lbs. The very same can be said about mustang and camaro owners. My truck is far from stock she rumbles regardless of what I'm doing and it is normal to have mustang, camaros, challengers and even Hondas roll up and rev their engines at me. I just giggle and take it as a compliment. Sometimes the mood will strike me and I'll play along but, if its only trucks messing qith you then maybe you should beef up some stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.