DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil life indicatoor

5K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  ccpd166 
#1 ·
Do you /or should you/ trust the oil life indicator in the EVIC? Or are you old-school and just change it every so many miles?
I had my first oil change today at 4000 miles. I know there is a whole lot of discussion as to when you should do the first oil change but that is for another topic

The EVIC shows that's only half the oil life... My question is should I not worry about the number of miles and just use the EVIC to tell me when it is time?

Your thoughts?

#2 ·
Newer oils and engines are better. There's no real reason to change the oil early these days.

Yes... it's "Cheap insurance"... but it's also putting more waste into the world. (so chose your path)

Personally... I follow the indicator.

#4 ·
Am I correct in assuming that the change indicator is simply keeping track of the miles between change resets or is it also sampling the oil and adjusting the miles between changes intervals.
I'm hoping it's taking into account other variables that shortens an oils life such as short,cold trips,idling,towing,ect.
My truck has the EcoD and is subjected to a fair amount of these less the ideal driving conditions but even at 8500 miles,it tells me I'm still on track for the full 10,000 mile change interval.
Does anyone know how this interval indicator works and have you ever had it recommend changing the oil sooner because of less the ideal conditions?

#10 ·
Doesn't anyone read their owner's manual these days?

Page 696 of my manual (edition 8) says:

"Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change
indicator system. The oil change indicator system will
remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for
scheduled maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will
influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is
displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the
change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles
(5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as
soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km)."

#11 ·
Before grabbing a buy-out from GM back in 2006 I was in the Powertrain group. I knew the chemists and strategists that designed the rules of how to determine oil life. These are smart people and I can't accurately relay the info I learned from them. Oil life is a on-going study by the PhD's.

It is likely impossible to turn over the Internet believes or old school thought but if you change your oil before the life system indicates, you are wasting your money and resources. The same with using synthetic oil, if the manufacture doesn't require it you do not need it and it is not adding any value despite creative marketing, Internet rumors, and/or your personal beliefs.

I know, everyone has an opinion and has a belief that is in conflict to the smart guys. That is exactly why incorrect beliefs continue to propagate. Manufactures warranty their engines so why not use the oil life system. All the folks that have to use this or that because they believe they know more than the PhD's forget the most important, keeping a service log and receipts in case they need that engine warranty.

I replaced my 2003 Tahoe (201,000 miles) with my MY13 RAM, I used the Tahoe to do local travel, pull around my tractor, take road trips, in the cold and in the heat of the summer. I followed the oil life meter. the Tahoe was still running strong, I sold it to a friend and the Tahoe is still hard at work.

The funniest part about this whole mentality of I have to change my oil every 3,000 miles or I have to use this type of oil to protect my baby, is most of us will not own the vehicle we are babying in four years.

#12 ·
You hit the nail and me right on the head Mr Monster.Over the last 8-10 years I've been going against my own judgement and listening to the oil experts on change intervals.I haven't had any engine issues yet.Not easy but still a work in progress.Although I do plan to keep my ED Ram for 6-8 yrs,I am going by the change indicator,especially after reading the info in this thread.I'm sure Ram wants to protect their warranty check book more then my oil change check book.

#15 ·
I go by the OLM too. I've done this on my previous 3 vehicles that have had monitors and all have gone well over 100k w/o an oil related issue. Once it hits 10% left, I start planning for an oil change, meaning I call the dealer.

I used to use synthetic but I don't bother any more. If I planned on keeping my truck for 20+ years, I'd probably consider it, but I doubt I'll have it 5 years.

#16 ·
I just did my first oil change at 3K, wanted to get any particulates out of the vehicle after a comfortable break in. I run Mobil1 and a Bosch filter on all my vehicles - never had a problem and will now observe longer intervals. Can anyone explain to me how to reset the Oil Life Indicator on a 2014 1500 Laramie?

#17 ·
From the manual:

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is displayed.

Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

NOTE:
  • 1500 Models Only
    Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months on 1500 trucks, whichever comes first.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Oil (even synthetic) is cheap. I am embracing the waaaayy advanced technology that is in our new trucks and using the oil life indicator as just another tool to stay informed with what's going on. That said I don't put ALOT of miles on my truck a year so I change my oil once a year. Sometimes I only put on 2500-3500 miles a year and the oil comming out looks clean. In reality, I know I don't even need to change my oil every year when its that clean but I do it anyway because oil is cheap and I love my truck and want to spoil it.:shy:

#22 · (Edited)
I just did my 1st EcoD oil change @ 9000 miles.My life monitor still showed 10% life left,but I do a lot of heavy towing and short trip driving and just couldn't hold out any longer.
I used to change the oil in my previous trucks at 4000 mile(syn oil)under the same conditions.I just sent an oil sample to the Blackstone lab and am still waiting for the results on whether to believe the life monitor or not.
I do plan to go the full oil life % in the future if the lab results come back good,which I will post here.
So far,after 500 miles,the life monitor is already right on schedule for the 10,000 mile change again.This leads me to believe the monitor will indicate a 10,000 mile change UNLESS it detects a reason to change sooner,like excessive idling (which I don't do much of)and fuel or water present or maybe an extreme thinning of viscosity????.
The oil sample results will give me a piece of mind for only $35 and I plan to do one every other oil change.

#24 ·
Initial oil change on mine was in Nov at 6,644 miles. Since, has been to the drag strip once (6 passes), and been driven in temps ranging from 38* to 85*, some highway, but mostly 10 mile trips or so to and from the farm. Now has 9,553 miles, shows 35% remaining, so is on pace to change after 4,799 miles at this pace. First change showed about 9% left, if memory serves me correctly.

#28 ·
Thank you TMorgan and the others who provided their insight. The correct procedure IS NOT as stated in the manual - which I tried before posting to the thread (sorry that I neglected to mention that fact = Ram Forumz Rookie). However with the Push Button Start leave your foot off the brake pedal, you push the start button 2x. This takes you from OFF to ACC to RUN. Then press the accelerator to the floor 3x and the indicator is reset! Note I did not have to press the RIGHT > button on the steering wheel EVIC Controls to confirm actions. This won't change my every 5K oil change routine, but should ensure that the truck - or my buddies - won't chime at me (for this reason at least). Thanks again & Happy New Year! - Nairb

#31 ·
First oil change at 7,000 miles, OLM reported still about 30% life remaining. Used Pennzoil synthetic.

Before this truck, we had an '02 Chevy Impala. It also had OLM, and I changed the oil only when it told me it was time. When I traded in the car, it was running just as good as the day I bought it. (So why get rid of it? I wanted a truck! :) )

So, I tend to trust the OLM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.