DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Am I the only RamBox owner who notices...

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Bubba 345 
#1 ·
...That the plastics used on the bed rails and plastic part of RamBox covers are different texture and color? The actual lids and the bed cap sections of the rails don't match.

The small bedrail cap sections near the cab and the tailgate are rough and more of a grey-black and the actual RamBox lid covers are smoother and darker. I know this is nit-picky, but c'mon, its a major fail by Ram... I looked at 5 Rams on the lot and they were all this way, including mine.

My lid hinge has broken twice in two months... so I am really concerned about longevity of the lids.

#6 ·
Mine has plastic covering the whole top surface so don't think it's a difference between metal and plastic. I think what the OP was asking about it a texture difference in the plastics which wouldn't surprise me if they were ordering the bed covers from one supplier and the box covers were another. But mine look and feel identical, '14 6'4 RamBox so maybe aging will be different.

#9 ·
I went out and check on mine and did not notice any difference in color or touch. On my Father's Avalanche there is a difference in color on his bed rails and the tonneau cover and the vinyl that covers the lower part of the fenders and the bumpers. His has faded quite a bit but it is a 2002 so it is to be expected.

#11 · (Edited)
Mine are different. Really never noticed until I read your post and took a look. But, after looking I can see its a different texture/color used on the plastic caps on the bed versus the tops of the lids. Probably different suppliers.

One other thing...do your lids sit just a bit higher than the bed? Mines brand new so maybe over time they settle in as the weather stripping flattens?

#14 ·
Hinges here holding up fine.

I did notice the difference in color and texture. It's noticeable if the sunlight hits at the right angle. Most times they look almost perfectly matched, but every so often the light hits it right and you can see the difference pretty vividly.

However, that's a rare occurence, so I don't pay it much mind.

#15 ·
thanks for checking guys. It looks like some are different and some aren't.

the difference isnt enough to make you hate the rambox, in fact I love it. But it just shouldn't be different at at all...

My lid has separated from the bolts on the ram box lid twice now...it is where the nutset type fasteners are secured (glued?) to the lid and the bolts attach to the lid.
I use my other one all the time with no issues. No idea why the drivers side has broken twice without even being used.
Frustrating with another 3 hour shop visit...

#16 ·
Strange indeed.

I had an extra bolt in my driver's side RamBox when I got it. Looks like the others that are used in assembly, but it was just lying in the bottom of the RamBox. I've checked it many times on both sides, and there aren't any bolts missing. Guess I got a spare.

#20 ·
I would guess that that's an assembly issue from the factory. I had an issue with the both corner caps on my Ram Box, drove away from the dealership and onto freeway only to see two black pieces flapping in the wind. All three tabs on both corner pieces were broken, I assumed from not being installed correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.