DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What to run power and antenna cables into RAM 1500

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  moparmanicac 
#1 ·
I would like to install a couple amateur radios in a 2011 RAM 1500. It looks as if the space under the back fold down seats would be a good location for the radios with the control heads mounted in the dash area.

My plan was to put a 60 am fuse under the hood and then run power and ground into the cab to a distribution block that accepts standard automotive blade fuses. I would like to get this power under the back seat. Then I will need to get coax cables back out of the cab.

After crawling around and under the rig it looks like a fairly challenging task to do this cleanly. There is a plastic plug under the cab and it looks as if that might come up under the back passenger seat - but carpet will have to come out to know for sure.

In searching I found a couple posts showing ham and CB installs but nothing showing how power and antenna cables were routed. Are there folks on the list that have done this and can offer some suggestions on the power and antenna wiring details?

#3 ·
I'm a huge fan of Uniden 520XL radios. I have a couple in different vehicles and they are all either powered from a cigerette lighter or from a 20 amp auxilary fuse. I'm not sure what your plans really are equipment wise but if your not running an amp or anthing it should be pretty simple for power, I would think 60amp fuse is overkill for a simple radio install.
I dont have much advise on where to run the coax. I just ran mine out the back passenger door. I'm not sure if the 4G have it but in 3g there is a plug next to the brake pedal that is good for running wires/cable from

#4 ·
use that plug on the floor for bed mount antennas, there are also plugs in the bed to route through,

For a good power source, go directly to the battery & use an inline fuse, i would use a heavy gauge wire, i forget what i have

I have a roof mount Wilson antenna, antenna wire was run up along side of the door post
I have a RCI6300F-150 mounted in my center floor console, there is also a fair sized auxiliary fan under the radios heat sink
external speaker is hidden in the overhead, at the back of the roof console

#5 ·
I simply mounted mine under the dash in the corner between the hole area for the drivers legs and the center and ran the power wires right out w/ the steering column to the battery and the coax cable under the truck under up into the engine bay in that same hole your plan sounds good though Id go w/ it let us know how it turns out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.