DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

I have to admit that "ghorn" has the most rational suggestion. Problem is some of us tend to be a bit irrational when it comes to buying new trucks. In the past few years I have kept my trucks four or five years and typically have about 100,000 miles on them at trade. I traded a Ford Expedition and a Toyota Tacoma at about 150,000. Didn't get much for trade, but I sure got a lot of use out of them.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 QC 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:11
BCRAM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i would only trade if went to 2500 or 3500 and that is not going to happen for awhile.
BCRAM: i find it hard to believe a similarly equipped ford is more expensive than a Ram. you could save some dollars and get the 6.4 in either HD ram.
What I wrote in my post was that a Ford F350 with similar options was a bit more then a Ram 2500.

Since then, I have noticed on the Ram (Canada) website, there is a $5000.00 consumer incentive that now (temporarily) brings the Ram 2500 or 3500 down in price and comparable to the equivalent F250 or F350 in price.

Also I noticed that the 2014 Ram 1500's have a $7000.00 incentive that may interest some prospective Canadian Ram truck purchasers.

Just for interest sake, I priced out a 1500 SLT model with quite a few options (Hemi, QC, 4x4, Protection Group, Trailer Tow Group, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, SLT Plus Decor Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 3.92 Axle Ratio, 121L Fuel Tank, Anti-Spin Diff, 4 Corner Air Suspension, Rear Window Defroster, Park View Rear Camera and Unconnect 8.4 with Nav.

MSRP came out to $44,075. Decent price (for Canada) and with bargaining at the dealer, you could probably get the price quite a bit lower as no one should ever pay MSRP.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

Here on the east coast chrysler has 8500 off and most dealers are advertising over 10k off some as high was 14k (plus freight) so 12.5k actual, you know smoke and mirrors.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Molten Red Pearl
Rep:10
Raptor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Raptor

ghorn makes a lot of sense.

After nearly a year of waffling I bought my Ram in June, 2012. It was a huge investment for me and I did my due dilegence before committing myself. I looked at all the competators and nearly drove my poor wife crazy in the process.

I have 40,000 Km on the clock now and the Ram has been a jewel. It pulls my 28 foot trailer easily and I am satisfied with the gas mileage I am getting.

I'd consider trading only if I won the lotto and only for a 2500 or possibly 3500 should I suddenly have the funds to buy a bigger trailer. Chances are that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

I'll prob'ly drive this truck until I am too feeble to climb up into the cab. At that point my son can take over.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I'll prob'ly drive this truck until I am too feeble to climb up into the cab. At that point my son can take over.
I notice that you are 60. You are good for at least ten more years, I can still hop (sort of) into my Ram at age 71.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
Rep:49
thebluegoat is on a distinguished road

I would love to trade mine in. It's a 2011 with about 145,000 kms on it, but it will be paid off in about a year and a half. After $1000 a month payments, $1000 dollars a month in fuel (or more), it'll be nice to put that monthly payment towards paying down other debt. Besides all the rattles that drive me absolutely crazy, and the paint bubbling on the door sills, there's nothing wrong with the truck. I'll need to do my rear brakes this year (already did the front but they'll need new pads), and probably new tires but that stuff is minor.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Molten Red Pearl
Rep:10
Raptor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
I notice that you are 60. You are good for at least ten more years, I can still hop (sort of) into my Ram at age 71.

Great! My old dog can still jump up into the passenger seat too. <g>
Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 PM

Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Some excellent comments/advice in this thread.

After sitting down and taking a look at the truck loan amount remaining per year and comparing it to it's future value, it looks like in the final year of the loan is when I'll be ahead. When I bought the truck, I wanted to trade it after a few years while the value was high - problem is, I didn't factor in depreciation so yes it will have a high value, but I'll owe more than it's worth.

So I've decided it's better to keep the truck and run it down to the ground as at least I'll have it paid off, than to continuously be making loan payments - hell even if it dies a year after I paid it off, that's still a year that I didn't have to make loan payments.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a '14 or '15, but by the time the '17's come out I'll have paid off my truck which I think is a better idea as it will hopefully be a new body style.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 PM

Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
I have to admit I am puzzled how other sometimes think about this matter.

To me,...it's a no-brainer...to keep a vehicle until it's paid off. (I mean, do you LIKE being in debt constantly?)
I appreciate your input.... however I think I left out a pretty important point that I get reimbursed by work for using my work - most of the time I only have to pay about $400/month out of my own pocket and that includes gas and insurance.

But as I said in my previous post that I just made, your post makes total sense and I think I really needed to sit down and look at the numbers (I'm more of a numbers guy) and that sealed the deal. Yes I might have to spend $1,000 on tires in about six months but if I trade it in six months, I'll be out at least $6,000! Even if work covers the majority of ownership costs that's still a difference of $5,000 and that money could definitely go towards other funner things!

I actually know someone who traded in their mid-4G Ram for a 2013 just to get the new body style. Took a hit on it of course but the seven year loan sure helped minimize the difference - but a seven year loan to me is asinine!