DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Why so many trucks with tailgate damage?

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Joes 08 Hemi 
#1 ·
It seems 80% of trucks I see have at least one dent, and ususally 2 or 3 dents, in the tailgate? And these aren't work trucks either? I just bought my truck and it's my 1st full size and definitely feel I need to be careful backing and round parking lots. Do people just tend to back into stuff when they drive a pick up?

#2 ·
My truck has a few dents, mostly on top of the tailgate from hauling something long and resting it on the top of the gate with it up. Also have a nice scratch on mine from a single axle trailer that I unlocked off of the ball but didnt move the truck. My uncle stepped on the back of the trailer and sideways and forward into my tailgate it went.

#3 ·
Some think it's cooler to have a mangled up vehicle and others like to keep theirs lookin great for that hot date! Or if the date is pretty mangled then I guess the mangled truck wins that pickup! Hahaha! I had a good lookin 2006 lifted truck on 35's and made a move to a different state. First time out to get groceries in the thing and I come out of the store and said, WTF! I nice big ol dent in my left rear quarter panel of the bed! Sonofa?!$%? Motha?!@#$%^! I just wanted to break this foot off in someones A$#?@?! Some people nowadays are a bunch a haters and jealous children! Work hard, pay my taxes, pay the bills, just like the next hard workin American. Where's my damn AR! :box: Just Kiddin!

#5 ·
My Ram is just over 3 years old

I put 2 dents in the rear bumper, that is what i get for trusting the electronic back up sensors, what i didn't know was there are 3 blind spots back at the rear
First one is where the hitch receiver is, i knew that i was close to a corner of a building & i had to back up, just a bit more, no buzzer went off & plastic bends easily

I then bought a back up camera, thinking between the 2, my Ram bumper is well protected & i have 2 eyes to see the rear view mirrors, well the post was low & i found that the very corner of the bumper can't be seen by the sensors, camera, or my eyes. I swear, concrete & steel posts grow fast !! Someone must have put Miracle Grow around it.:doh::4-dontknow:

Passenger side door has a nice dent in it, compliments of person that opened their door into it.
Drivers side has a deep scratch just above the gas tank access door, i was staying over night at a Motel 6 & i heard the alarm go off & by the time i put shoes on & got outside, the car full of younger people were gone.
Front bumper has several scrapes, some were put there by semi truck tires flying through the air at me & kids riding bicycles a bit to close to my front bumper while it is parked out in front of my place.

My windshield needs replacing now, rock chips from road debris

It is a truck after all, not a Ferrari

#9 ·
i have a 2 inch long by 1/4 inch gouge in the clearcoat on my tailgate from when a trailer came off the ball and smacked into the tailage. (thanks uhaul) lesson learned just because peole work at a place that sells, rents and operates trailers dont assume they know what they are doing.

#10 ·
The dent in my tailgate was a gift from my 6 year old. I had the holiday trailer hooked to the Ram and my son needed something out of the bed of the truck. Dropped the tailgate and it hit the hand crank! I was not impressed!

#11 ·
The small dent in the back of my truck (which no one notices and I'm not pointing out) came from having my first truck for only 2 weeks and being a dumbass. Backing up, not watching my rearview camera and ignoring the weird beeping noises... I kicked my own ass for that one. But have since learned from my mistakes. Funny how those little things like Rear view cameras and back up sensors are there for a reason...

I went from a VERY small car to a full size truck. I expected to back into something while I was learning how to maneuver it. Learning has occurred.

#12 ·
I dont use my truck under working conditions but when I do its only to load and unload small stuff or help my friends move there refrigerator. The one time I did load a safe and did not strap it to the bed like a dummy so as soon as I drove out into the street the safe slides back and hits my tailgate and denting the gate. The dent is sticking out and the gate is sorta not sitting right but it still closes. I think these tailgates are pretty sturdy.

#13 · (Edited)
3 dents in the rear of my Ram, 1 small on near the center of the bumper (bought it used, already there), one softball-sized one in the drivers side corner of the rear bumper (hit and run-gym parking lot), and one about the size of a quarter on the drivers side of my tailgate (outside) at the top--That one came from a damn tree. This tree was no bigger than a sapling. I didn't even hit the tree, I hit one of the branches. I was backing into a spot at applebees and it just rubbed against my tailgate. I got out and was like WTF? This tree was no bigger around than a pencil, and it did THAT? O_O.

EDIT, also there is a good scuff on the top of my tailgate where it curves. I was helping a buddy of mine move, I backed up to the stairs so we could load his heavy ass german made furniture into my truck with a dolly. I backed all the way up so I was level with the porch (stairs under the tailgate). When I lowered the tailgate, it was BARELY touching the salt/ice covered concrete steps, and I didn't know it. We spent the next hour walking on it, digging the concrete into my tailgate paint. It held up suprisingly well, and I was able to buff out the majority of it.

#16 ·
Knock on wood, no dents in my tailgate, a couple scuffs in the spoiler and some scratches on the inside of the gate from when I moved some furniture to a friend's house and the person helping me load it didn't get the concept of up and OVER the tailgate lol! Yeah, it is a truck but I'm not ready for the character marks to really begin!

- Cajun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.