DODGE RAM FORUM banner

LED tailgate lights

6K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  redline511 
#1 ·
Have WAY too many choices for LED Tailgate light bar. Was wondering who makes the bestlooking, DEPENDABLE, and easy to install LED tailgate lights. Experience counts! Lay it on me Brothers!

#2 ·
#4 ·
In the video it's just plugged into the trailer hook ups in the bumper. When I get around to it I'll hard wire it in.
As you can tell from the video the lights flash fast. Resistors slow it down to the normal flasher speed. Plus it brings up a "burnt out bulb" message on the dash w/o resistors.
LEDs don't pull as much electricity as a traditional bulb, so the computer sees it as Burt out. The resistor tricks the computer.

#6 · (Edited)
I have the Recon Fire & Ice Light Bar. It has both red & white LED's. The red function with your Park, Brake and Indicator Lights. The white function with the Reverse Lights. You don't need any resistors for a light bar. Their Plug a & Play.
I purchased a 4 pole trailer adapter and plugged into that. I then wired the reverse to the connector. Didn't cut into the truck wiring at all. Very happy with it. The resistors BigHOss is referring too is for the actual taillights. If you change your taillights to LED's you need to wire in resistors to prevent the hyper flash and burnt out bulb message in the EVIC.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...+Pickup/2010/118384.html?vehicleid=2010300232

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0106.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0107.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0104.jpg

#8 ·
Hey carnut2 sorry for the delay I've been out of town. The resistors can be installed where ever you want under the truck. They get hot so keep away from wires and stuff. Got mine from advance erosports. Not sure what the brand is?

#9 ·
Thanks guys, decided on the IPCW Light bar from Autoanything. Comes with a 4/prong plug, so I'll have to splice in the white reverse wire for the back up lights. Don't know how weather proof that will be so I may have to buy an adapter and go behind the bumper so I can tuck it away. Makes for a neater looking job too.

#10 ·
I like the bar. especially the blinker. Has anyone seen one where the light races left or right??

Me...

#12 ·
Recon makes one: Part # 26416X - 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar. Pricey though $149.95. I'm sure you could get a better price if you wanted to shop around.

gorecon.com

#11 ·
Yea I've seen it. To pricey for my taste.

#13 ·
Now that's a sweet little light bar.

Me...

#15 ·
^^ wow what an idiot! Lmao

#20 · (Edited)
THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION ! I just bought a IPCW light bar from autoanything and was wondering how I was going to mount it. (2) issues, the open port to access the spare tire well has a plastic insert that looks like it will pop out, but the bar will cover it. The other problem is on either end of the tailgate lip there is an overlap of metal at the corners that is welded and isn't flush with the rest of the lip giong across. The good news is that the light bar has (3 or 4) 3M adheadsive tabs that are set back from the bar surface that may clear the corners. Covering the spare tire access port is still a problem because mounting the bar higher or lower may obstruct its visibility. :4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:
I have a Recon Tailgate Bar. I think there all pretty similar. I trimmed off about half the plastic trim piece around the spare tire access hole. The light bar is probably covering not quite half the hole. No problem getting the extension tube in to release the tire. The tailgate clears the light bar but just barely. I actually used the thicker CD jewel cases for spacers. Taped 6 of them to the top of the bumper and set the light bar on them. Worked for me.:smileup:
Just went out and checked the light bar. It's only about 1/3 of the hole covered. Took a couple of pics.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0143.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0142.jpg

#18 ·
THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION ! I just bought a IPCW light bar from autoanything and was wondering how I was going to mount it. (2) issues, the open port to access the spare tire well has a plastic insert that looks like it will pop out, but the bar will cover it. The other problem is on either end of the tailgate lip there is an overlap of metal at the corners that is welded and isn't flush with the rest of the lip giong across. The good news is that the light bar has (3 or 4) 3M adheadsive tabs that are set back from the bar surface that may clear the corners. Covering the spare tire access port is still a problem because mounting the bar higher or lower may obstruct its visibility. :4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

#19 ·
I have seen that video typing in dodge ram while back.. I can't believe he is in a dodge ram doing that.. How embarrassing for all us lol.. While couldn't it be a Chevy or something

#23 ·
Anyone seen one that is red and blue? Would love the red for actual driving and the blue to match my reverse/bed lights at night in parking lot meets and such

#24 ·
dgard61, thanks for the response. On my '12 it looks like a palstic insert in the accesshole for the spare. It looks like it will just pop out from the back and give me a flush mounting surface. I agree there isn't a lot of room there. I have an IPCW light bar with I believe 4 or 5 strips of the 3M tape. Is there a way to drop the spare if the hole is covered completely? :shy:

#25 ·
I would think you would have to get under the truck and the crank is above the tire. So even then you probably wouldn't be able to reach it. I'm not familiar with the IPCW light bar. If you notice in the pics I posted the actual mounting points on the Recon are above the LED tube. There were 5 tabs approx 3" long with the 3M tape which mount to the truck and the light bar is screwed to the tabs with little screws. As mentioned in the previous post I mounted mine differently.

#26 · (Edited)
Mine is configured the same way, the strip is above the encased light strip and short S/S screws hold the 3M tabs in place. Thanks for the comeback. Knowing that the release for the spare is up that high gives me pause. I'll trial fit the light bar so I can at least access part of the hole in case I need the spare. Oh, by the way, I got a set of EGR (in channel) window visors and put them in. They are sweet, easy to install and look great.

#27 ·
Mine went right over and I have access to mine?

#29 ·
IPCW Tailgate light Bar

Well I installed my IPCW light bar from Autoanything. Was fairly easy, just had to make sure it was centered and level. Lights are bright and look good. However, have to send it back as there is a gap between (2) led's and is very noticeable. Didn't spot it when I plugged it in to the 4 prong connector. Anyway, Autoanything put me in contact w/IPCW and they are sending me a replacement. All this stuff is made in China or Indonesia. Quality control ? Case closed. :doh:

Attachments

#30 ·
Hey guys i would like to get a light bar like this. I was wondering if i could mount it up a little further so it is not in direct view but at night it will make under the tailgate glow. I noticed there is a spot on the tailgate itself just dono if it will work and rub. Has anyone ever seen or hear anything like it before. Any info would help. also i wonder if they have something that you could tap into the wiring to make the led race like on a shelby mustang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.