DODGE RAM FORUM banner

RAM 1500 or RAM 2500 Cummins???

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  boostjunkie1 
#1 ·
Hello to all again, i am posting this because i want to know your opinion about which is the best of this 2 members of the Dodge Ram family, also that will help me out to choose the right Ram for myself ;)

maybe you can tell us why do you think you choice is better??

thanks to all

:wavey:

#2 ·
If you have the NEED for the 2500 Ram then go that way. Heavy Hauling and Towing on a daily/weekly basis = 2500 Ram with Cummins

If you drive up and down the Highway with no load or a medium to small boat, camping gear, 4 wheelers, and other small stuff like that then get the 1500.

** I have had both in the past 4 years and I can tell you that the cost of ownership of the Cummins is allot more through out the year. They will get around the same MPG with Gas 1500 VS Diesel 2500. Both are great trucks and are purpose built. I sold my last 07 Cummins because I just did not need a Heavy Duty Truck anymore. Tired of paying the high road taxes and not to mention that Diesel went to $4 a gallon :smiledown:..... I get 15 to 18 mpg with my HEMI. That is around the same with the Diesel. Now loaded down the trucks are 2 different mules. The HEMI 1500 will go just fine with my boat in tow but gets 10mpg doing it (Boat is 4000 pounds +). The Diesel would get 13 and never even know it was back there. Once I figured the amount of Gas burnt compared to Diesel and then calculated in the cost the Gas came ahead by a large margin. Now that Diesel is the same as mid grade gas it is back to just what you actually need. BUT- - - -Get what you WANT because you will end up with it in the end and it could have saved you money to just go that route in the first place! Good Luck :smileup:

#4 ·
boostjunkie1 thank you so much for the advice and all the information provided, well actually yes i want the truck to work at my farm, and i know both a 1500 or a 2500 will work for me just fine... about the mpg i have listened and read that 2500 is more fuel efficient than the 1500, it is true that both gets almost the same mpg, well not when towing, but here in my country a diesel gallon costs approx. $2 and the Gas gallon costs Approx. $3... so what you about this?? more mpg + diesel being more cheaper than gas = money saved??

in the other hand thanks ph3nom3non03 for your comment too... and in that i also agree with you, in Honduras dodge Ram, Silverado, F150 etc etc they are consider to be a extreme high fuel consumption trucks! so the truck costs let say $45,000 brand new, next year you can hopefully get $12,000 for it, yes! that bad is having a Gas Truck here, so having a 2500 Diesel Engine will keep or even increased its market value after a while..

i post this question because i wanted to know the big difference on having a 1500 or a 2500... but it seems that the 2500 always wins the polls... maybe another members can contribute with their comments and see at the end which model wins ;)

but yes boostjunkie1 as you said, at end i'm the one who will end owening the truck jejeje, one curious detail i will like to ask you is... what are the costs of giving maintenance to a 2500 cummins???

regards to all

#5 ·
The country you are in and the price for gas.... I would go with the Diesel! The Maintenance is higher because you have to buy 3 GALLONS of oil at every change......Fuel Filters need to be replaced every 7k miles.....Front and Rear Diff oil needs to be replaced after 5k miles with fresh oil.......Then every 20k expecially if heavy hauling and working the truck. The Road Taxes ( In America for our Tags and such are much higher because we have to have weighted tags $$$$$$. BUT- - - -In your situation I would go with the Diesel. You can go 15k on an oil change if you do allot of highway running. Stop and go = 7k on oil changes. Diesel will be you best route expecially with the drop in worth over the forst couple years :doh:........... :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.