DODGE RAM FORUM banner

RAM 1500 Megacab vs 2500 Megacab

Tags
megacab
19K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  namretsud 
#1 ·
What is the real difference between them, I compared the axle ratings this weekend and they are both the same, rear leaf springs both had 5 leaves in them. I know the 1500 is built on the 2500 frame, both have 2500 axles. Other than the 2500 has the diesel option, I can't see a whole lot different between them. (2006 with the 5.7L Hemi).

#4 ·
^^ correct. Even the hemi's are different between the 2. The 2500 hemi features more power and torque, but not MDS. where as the 1500 is weaker, but had MDS

#7 ·
The reason for the 1500 Logo was so that Insurance, Taxes, Tags would be cheaper..... Plus Soccer Mom's don't need a 2500 so the 1500 Logo just went well with it :) ..... MDS is only avaliable on the regular 1500's on a 1500 Frame. The only difference is the MDS being active. Now the new 2500's will have a little more power compared to the 1500's. There will still be no MDS, and less TQ Management

#8 ·
Yup, the 2500s have a more powerful HEMI but lose out on the MDS fuel savings, and it makes sense to me if the point of buying the truck to tow, not to save fuel, kind of oxy-moronicif you want fuel savings. I do believe the rear gear ratio is different between the 1500 and the 2500 as well.

If I had a family that did a lot of travelling, I'd probably look at the 1500 Mega cab just for that extra in-cab storage. The 1500 MC HEMI is MDS equiped so gets better mileage but runs on a heavier duty suspension which would be great for work. The MC would also be great as a crew truck with the extra room but without the added cost of insurance on a 3/4 ton. Though, I'd probably just upgrade and get the CTD myself.

#9 ·
Much of this info seems wrong to me.

When I bought my 1500 hemi mega I did several searches on the subject. I came up with NO MDS (which is true). From what I've read it's only a few options and the overload springs that are different between the half and 3/4 ton. I'm fairly certain it's the same hemi.

The 2500 could have the Hemi, while the 3500 I beileve was diesel only.

#12 ·
I am driving a 2006 1500 mega-cab with 229270 on the odometer I get between 9-14 city and 14-17 hiway depending on how I drive no problems no engine clatter only mid-grade or premium gas oil changed regular and yes I can feel the mds while while going 45mph then stomping on it especially on a chilly day

#13 ·
I had an 07 Mega Cab and the 5.7 and it did not have the MDS. I loved the MC for the extra room and comfort but the highway empty mileage sucked @ 16.5 mpg. I changed to a 15 Ecodiesel and have seen 33 mpg on a full Crew Cab with the 6'4" box and 4x4. If it comes back out with a MC with the Eco I would be all over it for the right price. The back seat 44" legroom and the 70* back rest angle is great for long trips, even for those in the 6'8" range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.