DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Painting lugnuts? caliper?

4K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  Thebestestdrummer 
#1 ·
Is painting the Lugnuts possible? haha. I think it would look pretty good green with my black rims. I don't take off my rims hardly ever, so i would just have to hold up putting them on and a couple times taking them off for whatever reason

would caliper paint do the trick?
what paint did you use for that?
any tricks to painting the calipers as well?
is the brake drum easily paintable? its pretty rusty and im not about to buy a new one. plus theres plastip on it..

also i plan on doing green accents ( not sure where else though yet) so paint that could work for anything would be great too.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The lug nuts won't hold up, once you take them off the first time the paint will chip off. Anodizing should work as I assume they are aluminum.

Painting the drum is as easy as cleaning the rust off and prepping and spraying :)

#9 · (Edited)
Fluid. Dont worry just tape everything up and paint away. The rotor will be ok if you get a little over spray on it. The first time you hit the brakes its gone.

Be sure to be safe jackstands are a must. I would cover the hood and fender tops up with a old blanket if you are one to get spray can crazy. :)

Use aluminun foil to wrap around the brake lines and cover the springs and stuff. That or get a thicker paint and brush it on. If your not into masking that may be your best bet.

you can do it. I did these in about 2 hours.

#10 ·
definitely will, thanks.

Fluid. Dont worry just tape everything up and paint away. The rotor will be ok if you get a little over spray on it. The first time you hit the brakes its gone.

Be sure to be safe jackstands are a must. I would cover the hood and fender tops up with a old blanket if you are one to get spray can crazy. :)

Use aluminun foil to wrap around the brake lines and cover the springs and stuff. That or get a thicker paint and brush it on. If your not into masking that may be your best bet.

you can do it. I did these in about 2 hours.
jackstands are a crazy must. Haha. I didn't know about the foil either, that would work. thanks also!

#11 ·
#13 ·
any other suggestions for green accents? haha. Noticeable green. But not crazy green to overkill it.

also if im parked or something ill run my blue, red or flashing all colors LEDS, so not too much green that it makes the other colored LEDs look terrible.

#14 ·
I would have to see a full pic of your truck to get a better idea. Maybe all the emblems could work. I am all for green lugs. Just not the tuner ones. It all depends on what you think is overkill as in the end it is your personal opinion and not anyone else's. Could always plasti-dipp the cash and door panels green :LOL:

#18 ·
ive thought about the rams head, but its actually like one flat piece, not 3D like the newer ones, so unless i want a green pentagon thats out.

hood spears are a total maybe

brakes are yes

i think emblems and logos might be too much, but hey, its plasti dip. it comes off if i change my mind!

#19 ·
Ya my buds dakota has the flat emblems.. You could always plasti-dipp and then cut out the pieces you want. Another thing I've noticed is that you like lighting.. You could always do an LED strip behind the grill to light up at night like I have. Here is my tutorial, very simple and easy.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144158

#22 ·
ive been thinking about doing that, especially since im going to put more subs and 6x9s in tha back as well.

But i have LED tubes that match the bottom and interior that i plan on putting in the bed. haha

and no, i kinda gave up. My focus has been on these new subs i gotand other misc stuff

#23 · (Edited)
alrightttttt heres what I got!

Green high temp paint. I know I don't need high temp, but its what Advanced Auto Parts had!

3 ton jack stands: I've never used these before, so does anyone have some quick safety tips? Or General tips? Thanks!

#24 ·
Bringing a dead thread back to life here, and it's probably irrelevant to the OP at this point, but I have one safety tip I had to learn the hard way.

If your truck is gravel or something else soft, put a piece of plywood or something under the stands. I had one dig into gravel causing the truck to fall off the stands while I was under it. Luckily the wheels were still on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.