DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Why is an aftermarket CAI better than stock

6K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  barr0208 
#1 ·
Just bought an 04 5.7L. My plans include superchips and exhaust, but I'm a little puzzled about the whole CAI thing. Probably because I'm a clueless Dodge newbie.:LOL: Sorry about that.

My question is, how is a CAI better than stock? It looks to me like the stock intake already is a CAI. What's the advantage of getting a CAI set-up over, say, just getting a K&N drop-in?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I wasn't successful in searching for this particular question.

#3 ·
A good CAI has access to cold air (CA part of CAI) not from the engine compartment, but air coming into the engine compartment. They also have a high flow filter whereas the stock filters are somewhat restrictive. Lastly, the tube connecting the filter box to the throttle body (TB) will be smooth versus the stock tube which is not smooth. The smooth tube allows for a good solid even flow of air. The ribbed tube (stock) disrupts the airflow.

#4 ·
look at bfi or varam i say bfi but you going to wait a bit its up to you

#6 ·
#9 ·
Another option is to do a drop in K & N filter in the stock box & cut out the 4" flex ribbed section (about 9" long) & replace it with a smooth 4" plastic tube.

#10 ·
I prefer to drop in a K&N I experimented with my Lightning on CAI...and found that the factory box with a K&N was probably more efficient than the C&L Elbow and K&N cone. Try the drop in filter first you will be surprised.

#13 ·
Just bought an 04 5.7L. My plans include superchips and exhaust, but I'm a little puzzled about the whole CAI thing. Probably because I'm a clueless Dodge newbie.:LOL: Sorry about that.

My question is, how is a CAI better than stock? It looks to me like the stock intake already is a CAI. What's the advantage of getting a CAI set-up over, say, just getting a K&N drop-in?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I wasn't successful in searching for this particular question.

The CAI is leagues better than drop in filter, but should combine CAI with performance exhaust. BAsically it can breathe in better and exhale better which create more HP & Torque. I would guess on a Ram 15 to 20 HP with both could be more based on engine size. It helps MPG too.

#17 ·
No worries. Just wanted to make sure that was in the thread as many don't (including myself prior to joining the Z) know that the newer rams have that much of a better intake versus the earlier rams.

#18 ·
after market intakes increase volumetric efficiancy. there is a difference in cold air, and short ram. CAI normally produces more high end horse power but has a down fall since a true CAI routes to the bottom of the engine bay. it can pick up water if there isnt a precaution for it. short ram normally produces not as much but still good power. it draws in warmer engine bay air. an air ram and air dam are often used on this set up. im going to make a video showing the difference. ill send a link when i do.

#20 ·
after market intakes increase volumetric efficiancy. there is a difference in cold air, and short ram. CAI normally produces more high end horse power but has a down fall since a true CAI routes to the bottom of the engine bay. it can pick up water if there isnt a precaution for it. short ram normally produces not as much but still good power. it draws in warmer engine bay air. an air ram and air dam are often used on this set up. im going to make a video showing the difference. ill send a link when i do.

One thing about Cai in regards to routing to the bottom and taking in water. I saw on EBay or somewhere a screen that prevent water (unless submerged) from being sucked in as easily. I can't remember seller, but I have seen them. Anyway, your information made me think of that.

#19 ·
Yeah, depending on the year of Ram or any vehicle for that matter will affect hp/tprque increase when using Cai and performance exhaust. One thing though I do not believe in spending 300 dollars for K & N intake with so many cheaper intakes out there (or build yourself) that perform as good or better.

#21 ·
Folks "cold" air needs to be refridgerated air. Once your moving most of the hot engine air is flushed out, it's only stop and go driving where that is a real issue. The VOLUME and flow of that air is the area where a few CIA's excell over stock set ups. Just like the term "ram air" that Vararam likes to throw around. Ram air is produced by turbos and blowers not by a cold air intake. If you can accomplish 3 to 5 rearwheel horsepower and torque on a dyno you have done about the best you can hope for with a CIA. Are you gonna feel that.........NO. In your mind you will and the sound will change somewhat but realistically, no you can't feel that small of a change but you have a nice high flow filter and more volume for the intake and that is always a good thing.:smiley_thumbs_up:

#23 ·
although it always appears the difference in hp is only a few hp, we don't spend all our time driving around on a dyno roller with no air movement. almost any intake that offers smoother flowing air with less bends as well as do away with the air resonator will be a big improvement. More enhanced with any additional mods and especially more if you can get custom tuning for the better airflow.. In my opinion, it's hard to measure with dyno numbers the true performance of any intake. I can tell by the street manners and how well my truck accelerates from a light that an intake works. I've tried a few, first, a homemade 4" pvc setup from the tb to the stock airbox, drilled holes in the bottom of the stock airbox to allow more airflow. Then I did a smooth mopar clone ebay knockoff with a heat shield. After that I got the Ramhammer (BFI) and the performance improvement was obvious. I then bought a used Vararam to try, it worked so well that it was hard for me to tell the difference between it and the Ramhammer.

#27 ·
I've run some form of Cai for over 185k miles...nothing to worry about...I've run down the track a ton without a filter as well..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.