DODGE RAM FORUM banner

dealer oil change

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Mojack 
#1 ·
so ill be coming up on my first oil change soon i was thinking of bringing in my own oil and filter and letting them do it for one i would rather have it documented at the dealer but mainly im ffricken lazy (gonna use mobil 1 full synthetic and wix filter) my ? is can i trust them to actually put the oil in i buy or worry bout a tech takin it home and using it in his own ride the filter i can see but the oil? i guess i can ask for the empty containers back am i just paranoid or what maybe i smoked to much wacky when i was younger ha anyways like stated before im lazy and not very organized when it comes to retaining documents like recipts so thats why i want to do this anyways sorry for the long post anyone else do this? thoughts advice thanxs

#2 ·
I work at a chrysler dealership and I know for a fact that If you bring your own oil and filter your getting your own oil and filter on that vehicle. I've had people bring me cases of Amsoil trans fluid and I've never even had the thought of taking it for myself and just using bulk.

But thats just me.

If your worried just buy 2 of those's 5+ quart bottles of mobile 1 and they'll have to give you back the extra. Then you have proof it was used. I don't think you'll have a problem tho.

#4 · (Edited)
I also take Two 5 quart jugs of Mobile One 5w-20 & a Wix oil filter to the dealership
when you buy them at Walmart here, it is $10 cheaper then the auto parts store

If you were taking it to a one or 2 man garage, you may have theft,
a big shop like the dealership has too many eyes, attitudes, & people needing jobs

Just don't go to a place like JIFFY LUBE to get stuff done, out here the have even been caught on camera doing unlawful things & not doing requested things

#5 ·
I let my dealer change my oil every time. It's faster than any other place in town. As long as your dealer isn't shady, I wouldn't have a problem bringing them my own oil and having them change it.

#6 ·
The real question is, Do you trust your dealer? If you do, then it's not an issue, if you don't then don't even go to them. Call a local garage or a any quicklube place to see what they would charge for just labor.

As for not going to Jiffy Lube ... I don't agree with that. There's bad apples everywhere, not just Jiffy Lube. To give you an example, I worked at Jiffy lube, as a teen. I never shafted a customer and I never even thought about it. Years later, I found out a couple of my co-workers did shaft a customer here and there. They pretended to change the oil, but never actually did. Yes, they'd change the filter, but never drain and fill. It didn't happen to every car they worked on, but it happened here and there. When I found out, I asked them why they did it. Their answer to me was that they were just being lazy. I guess lazy makes sense since it's not like they were getting a bigger paycheck by saving the store oil.

To this day, I still don't truly understand why they did this.... BTW, they both now work as mechanics at dealerships....

#7 ·
I'd steer clear of Jiffy Lube. Those guys have screwed up to many cars in our family. I won't bore you with the details but one of their f-ups resulted in the trans going out in my dad's low mileage chevy astro van. Jiffy had to pay for a replacement.

#8 ·
I'm not defending them as a whole, Jiffy Lube certainly doesn't have the best overall reputation, but like any franchise operation it really depends on the particular shop. I don't use them (I'm an Amsoil guy) but I have friends that swear by their local one in upstate NY. I went along for the ride one time and the place was incredibly spotless and efficient. I doubt any (place you favourite German luxury brand here) does it any better.

#10 ·
i won't go to my local dealer, heck i did not even buy from him. They charge nearly 100.00 to change the oil in a hemi! my local tire shop charges $30.00 and that is due to using 2 extra quarts. included in this is a tire rotation. for full synth oil the price is only a few bucks more.

#13 ·
I can't see the dealer saying no. At least they'll get some of your money that you're willing to spend. I haven't changed my oil myself in a long time, but I bought my Ram (first bought vs leased vehicle in over 8 years), so I wanted to do whatever maintenance I could on it. Going to the dealer around here is worse than going to the dentist and getting a tooth pulled without any novacaine.

#15 ·
I made a call to my local Dodge service dept. to inquire about the 4 free oil changes. I was greeted by a very friendly service writer who had no problem spending 5 minutes of his time to talk to me. He informed me that I could bring in my truck at any mileage for the 4 free oil changes. I asked what oil brands they use, he replied that they use Mopar, Mobil One syn. blend and Penzoil syn. To my surprise he said I could choose what oil I wanted of the 3 if they had the proper weight on hand.. Then he stated that I could purchase an additional 4 oil changes for 65 dollars!! Sounds to good to be true, but I went ahead and made an appt. for Wednesday morning. So we shall see. So far Milton Ruben dodge in Augusta Ga. has impressed me. I normally do my own oil changes but I cannot turn down the savings at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.