DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can anyone tell me why my leather seats have a white film on them????

31K views 91 replies 22 participants last post by  LadyRam 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why my leather seats have a white film on them.

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Longhorn with only 1900 kms. I opened my truck the other day and noticed that the entire interior appears to have a white film on the seats. I wiped it off with my hand but it came back...

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same issue or is it possible that the leather is drying out????

My truck is in my garage that is heated and has not been driven this winter. Am I missing something here.

Thanks,

Ed

#57 ·
Yeah no problem at all my friend, I think it actually is going to help me and others that are having the same problem... The dealer has no idea until I sent him this... I told him that everyone that buys from their lot should have a paid subscription to this forum....

I will see how this works and will update it... I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave me some advice.. It did not go un-noticed...

Thanks again....

Ed

#59 ·
Hey Barnyard...

Thanks for the input... I have been told that they will test the seat to see if anything was applied??? I just don't want to go ahead and do that against the advice I received from the dealer... I guess hind sight is 20 20... Trust me, I have been provided with the link to order the remover however I have been told that if I complete it myself then I run the chance of having no warranty coverage....

So to say the least the $30 treatment might cost me the replacement (if needed) of my interior.... I have been very patient and just want them to fix the issue at hand....

I really appreciate the advice but just don't want to go ahead and apply the treatment (which I know will work) and then not have it covered... That would cause a domestic in my house... LOL

Hopefully I will hear something soon... I have provided the link to the dealer and they are apparently going to order and apply... They want to try saddle soap first.... I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks,

Ed

#62 ·
I applied the leather masters spew remover today because I had ordered it after seeing a small spot (about the size of my fist) on the passenger seat when the temperature dropped to the 50's. It's quite oily but leaves a beautiful finish on the leather. I'm hoping by morning the leather will absorb it better then when first putting it on.

The 250ml bottle will probably be enough for 5 or more interiors. I didn't know how much it would cover and bought 2 bottles! I picked up a couple of leather care kits as well and will use them after the remover has time to absorb. It's interesting to note the different leathers used throughout the seats.

This may have been overkill in Miami as it doesn't get very cold but the thought of making the leather retain the natural fats and moisture was something I wanted to ensure. I've never owned a vehicle (or furniture) with this quality of leather in it.

#63 ·
Hey guys good stuff... I was just asked by my dealer to purchase the spew remover and that they would apply it as well as pay me for ordering the remover.... I am just going on line....

If you get a chance can you post some pics.... Thanks guys... Looking forward to getting this finally resolved....

Thanks.

Ed

#66 ·
Just a follow up. I don't have much info on it stopping the process but I'm sure it will. It just doesn't get cold enough to see it happen often here.

The spew remover from leather masters absorbed into the leather very nicely. I even put it on the center console lid and steering wheel (both black leather) but made sure to wipe off the excess on the steering wheel with a clean dry cloth.

I would even consider a second application as nice as it left the leather but don't know if there would be any consequences. The bottle doesn't say what the contents are or have any directions. I still have the leather care kit I bought from leather masters but am not going to use it yet as the leather is very clean and I only have 3,000 mi. on the truck.

#67 ·
Hey that is great news... I also ordered two bottles and the dealership is going to reinburse me.... Once I get it the dealer wants to apply it so that there are no issues... I am very happy that it worked out for you... Now all I have to do is wait for my bottles to arrive and have this rectified....

Have you noticed that the white is returning at all???? I would like to think no but just wanted to ask.....

Thanks,

Ed

#68 ·
Just received my SPEW remover and will be putting it on this weekend... It is suppose to be a beautiful one... High on 22.... So I will update the thread and let you know how it works out.....

Ed

#69 ·
Well... I have put the second coat of spew remover on the seats due to the first coat not working so I will have a look tomorrow.... If this does not work I am going to ask the dealer to remove and replace the seats with new ones..... This is brutal....On the bright side, had a chance to wash and wax her again... It was a great day......

#70 ·
Update? I'm surprised since the youtube video said it stops it in one application but you know how advertising is. Did you put the truck in a warmer enviornment when the spew remover was applied? With no directions it is kind of confusing. I wonder if warming the leather till the spew is gone and then applying the spew remover will help?

I know it seems like a lot of work but the leather seems to be of awesome quality and looks. I felt it (spew remover) left a great look and texture to the leather once it had a night to absorb (temps in the 70's probably).

#71 ·
Hey irnwkrkev,

I completed the second application and notice that that the seats looked blotchy.... I know... I think I may be too picky however I just applied a coat of Maguires and it seems like it is taking very well.... I am going to have a look tomorrow so I am keeping my fingers crossed..... The weather was very warm and I am hoping that this fixes the problem.... Quick question... Do you have any pics....

Ed

#73 ·
Well... I have been given some Mopar Treatment that I will be picking up from the dealer however If that does not work I have been infomed that we may try some saddle soap....I guess the next step is trying to have the interior replaced......Time will tell......Still love the RAM though....Plus I have a great dealer that has been doing everything to try and help me.....

Sorry it is such a long thread......

#76 ·
Just received some information about the saddle soap....Apparently if you apply this it turns the seats a darker colour and you may have some issues.....Will update once the decision is made.....

#77 ·
Sounds like moisture and natural oils (AKA spew) are being trapped underneath the polymer coating on the leather. Means the leather wasn't completely tanned and dried before coating and using. In time, the moisture and oils may evaporate out thru the uncoated bottom surfaces but it will take a lot of time. This problem won't go away quickly and nothing you can rub on is going to improve it. You need to have your dealer replace the skins under warranty.

#78 ·
Well here is the final update.....My truck has been sitting at the dealer all week and when I stopped in today they had tried some product that made my seats look brand new......All I can say is that I am happy.....Told them to keep it another week and to take their time.....

Just wanted to say thank you to all the members for their comments and messages..... Just glad that this is over.....I hope.......

Ed

#79 ·
I must say you were persistant
You could have used SPEW REMOVER several days ago & would have been done with it

The person doing the tanning of the leather did a poor job & Chrysler still bought it, goes to show, not every buyer knows what their are buying

#80 ·
I must say you were persistant
You could have used SPEW REMOVER several days ago & would have been done with it

The person doing the tanning of the leather did a poor job & Chrysler still bought it, goes to show, not every buyer knows what their are buying
Yeah I was very persistant....I just got my truck back and I can't be happier....The dealer stipped the seats and reapplied a leather conditioner as well as something else......Been told that we should all treat are leather interior two times a year and with proper products....

I will be buying these products and will list them when I get them....

As far as spew remover, I was told that it did more harm than good...They had to strip it off the seats......

Again thanks for all the comments and help, It was appreciated.....

Ed

#81 ·
By the way, when i mentioned buyer, i did not mean you
I meant the buyer for Chrysler that purchased the leather from the tanner
They should have spotted the oily leather right from the start
long before it was on the way to the upholsterer

#83 ·
Nope I totally understood you, no worries my firend...My wife says that I have a permanent smile since they were corrected.....I totally agree you as well.....This might sound a little off side but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders..... this was bothering me to no end so I am glad it's over.

I again just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum.....This IS the best forum out there.....

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.