DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Improved Fuel Milage

7K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  roo 
#1 ·
I have had my Ram for 4500 miles now. Around town which is 95% of my driving I was getting 11mpg. I now get 11.2 very disappointed!

#35 ·
I have a Crew Cab 4X4 Laramie 3.92, 3000kms/1875Miles took a long trip Yesterday 700 kms total 440miles, and I averaged 18.7 mpg at 110km/h, 68miles/h, HAND CALCUALTED, no wind one direction, decent cross wind partway back. 50kms/32miles was city driving (i even raced a couple people) also I hard accelerated a few times to get up to speed, and hit the govenor 3 times on the trip (showing off to some friends). If I would have driven nicer I am sure my average would have been closer to 20-22. My computer showed an average of 16.5, and alot of the time on the highway MDS was on and It was showing 20-25 mpg on the gauge. VERY pleased with this considering the size of the truck... ;)

#36 ·
Il be surprised if the 2012s get 18, 26 is a very far stretch from reality.

#37 ·
2012 2500 and only have about 1000 miles on it first couple tanks not pulling my evic was showing 14.9 then my next couple tanks pulling around 8-10,000lbs was reading 10.4-11.2 filled up and hand calculated and got 10.9. with only 1000 miles on the truck im pleased with those numbers so far.once she get more broke in ill report back ill probably have close to 2500-3000 miles on her in a week or so i usually put close to 700-1000 miles a week on

#38 ·
Please keep in mind that the EVIC reading is in US gallons. The 1500 is rated at 15.8L/100km-18mpg City and 10.8L/100km-26mpg Highway in Canada.

On a recent highway trip I got 11.3L/100km per the EVIC. This was all highway starting from accelerating on the on ramp with the wife and the 2 kids and our luggage. That translates to 25 miles per Imperial gallon and 20.8 miles per US gallon. I've only done 1 hand calculated mileage rating and the EVIC was really close.

City driving has been averaging around 14.5L/100km per EVIC. I only have 2000kms on my truck and I am pleased with the mileage so far. Now if only I can stop cruising around in the damn thing I would save a little gas money.:LOL:

G
#39 · (Edited)
I noted one previous post that suggested we are more concise with the trim and model so that when we compare, we can see how we stack up against each other.

I have the 2012 Ram 1500 4 door long bed; 4 X 2 with the 5.7 litre engine and the 3.55 rear end and six speed auto tranny. I'll be putting a Leer cab high shell on it next week that may have a positive effect upon aerodynamics and gas mileage.....maybe.

Up to now the best I've gotten out of two tanks using 87 octane is 14.5 mpg. Today I filled it and drove it 75% of the time on the freeway with the speed control set at 65 mph. I paid a lot of attention to the "ECO" (economy icon that comes on when the truck drops to 4 cylinders) symbol and tried to keep it illuminated. On cruise it usually stays on till you start climbing, then it goes out and comes back on when you hit clost to level roadway.

Being judicious and travelling only 60 miles, the readout went to 16.8 mpg when I got home. This time I tried filling with 89 octane to see if perhaps the increase in octane might somehow have an effect upon the mpg due to the higher octane. One thing I noticed right away is the &%^&#% cost of gas!! It took $103 to fill the tank. If things keep going this way, my dilly-dallying days are over and I'll be more objectively oriented to doing the necessary rather than the fun. But c'mon guys, having a new truck makes it difficult to leave it sitting in the garage while you bemoan the rising cost of gasoline.

What I learned is that higher octane "may" have some effect, but that the magic number on cruise control for me was 65 mph. At that speed the ECO icon stayed on most of the time and the mpg rating kept rising. I'm sure that had I made a trip of several hundred miles and left it on cruise, I could have hit the 18-20 mark. I also have to consider that I dont' have 1000 miles on it yet...so there's break in that may be factored in at a later date. All in all, I'm more than pleased with the look, trim, and performance.

The only negatives so far are the crummy backup camera, and the somewhat cluttered and difficulty I have in navigating through the various radio, MP3, Ipod, SAT radio etc functions. My previous NAV setup was much more intuitive and easy to operate by voice commands. But I digress; this post focuses upon the issue of gas consumption. More to follow as breakin and changes in driving habits occurs.

BTW, whever told you that you could get 26 mpg out of this truck would more than likely flunk a polygraph test.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.