DODGE RAM FORUM banner

superchips axle ration setting?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 · (Edited)
superchips axle ratio setting?

not sure if i posted in the right spot, kind of was in a hurry, so i have a 08 1500 4.7L qc rwd, also with the 3.92 ratio. so i purchased the superchips flashpaq and messed with the settings on my truck major difference in a good way and so far no complaints. My question is, well the other day once again i was messing with the SC and going thru all the features and noticed it had an option of changing the axle ration. so what would happen if i changed it from what it detects which is 3.92 to what ever else either north or south on the tuner and set it on my truck? so basically saying changing the ration on truck computer without the gears physically being changed?

#3 ·
thanks for your input. being the curious person that I am lol, I decided to mess with that so I changed it for a couple hours nothing drastic I went from 3.92 and set at 3.99 and I must say the throttle response was rediculous responsive. just hovering my foot over the gas pedal and the truck just wanted to jump off the line lol. and just over all the acceleration was very quick it felt like no gear was ever wasted. it gave me no warnings or CEL or any codes and ran pretty great. after awhile I changed it back to the factory 3.92 setting which still felt the same from before and definitely could tell the difference. it just felt slower or liked bogged Down and that's why I decided to ask about it on here. I noticed a difference but was just wonder what the long term damage if any would be?

#4 ·
I believe you are just tricking the computer and shift points. Did you notice if it messed up your speedo or odometer?

I wouldn't run it like that, but if you like the shift schedule that way you could purchase the advanced trans tuning from SC for like $60 and set your own...

My buddy has a camaro and did what you did(more extreme though) and his car shifted great. The problem was the speedo and odometer being far off. Backing out of his driveway showed 120mph LOL

#5 ·
wow 120 mph in reverse..lol. no nothing was showing signs of being wrong, or any faults. speedo worked fine i even tested the speedo with a LIDAR and speed was correct. but i didnt keep it like that i changed it back after a couple hours cuz i figured it was just tricking the computer like u mentioned so i didnt want to cause any damage that might arise by doing that, so its back to stock. but i was thinking about purchasing that transmission tuning before a couple weeks ago when i bought the tuner and noticed that option after updated it. do u know the specifics of that tune or how it works exactly? and if u know what would be the best setup for better mpg and if i need to change it for performance, the best setup for maximum power using that trans tune for my truck? thanks for helping me out with my question.

#6 ·
You could get a lot more info from the SC forum.

But I will say I don't currently have the advanced trans tuning. I just tried a diablo custom tune this week, and the trans tune the guy did was awesome. I really liked it, even more than the SC trans tune. Overall I decided to go back to the SC, I think it was a better tune overall, but I have been convinced to purchase the advanced trans tuning and set up my own shift schedules...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.