DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4th Gen elec fan cfm?

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Daytona1445 
#1 ·
Like the title says...I'm trying to see if anyone knows how many CFMs the stock electric fan is rated for on the 4th gens.

My 180 t-stat is in, getting ready to install my u/d crank damper and remove the mechanical fan and I would like to know if the stock elec fan is sufficient to cool the truck in the summer and yes I have a Predator to change the on/off settings. If not, no big deal I'll just leave the mech fan installed or maybe look into a better elec fan replacement like the Taurus or MK VIII fan.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Your attached file states/shows -
A 36 MM Fan Wrench (1) should be used to prevent
pulley from rotating.
:4-dontknow:

#9 ·
Here it is :) -

Spanner Wrench 6958

#14 ·
RamTech has all the cool tools! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#11 ·
Thanks Randy. Didn't move here until late August last year and I think the summers occasionally break 100 degrees but I'm more concerned for when I get stuck in traffic and there is no air flow. Any of your pubs have some numbers on the fan that we could maybe cross reference for more info?

#15 ·
I believe a lot of people never consider why mechanical fans are still used even to this day. First, consider the applications. Mechanical fans are used with longitudinal engines. These vehicles tend to be heavier and more powerful which places increased demands on the cooling systems. On the new Ram with a Hemi, you have a 390 HP engine driving that fan and lets say it takes 10 HP to drive that fan at its max rated output. Now if you've ever seen a 10 HP electric motor, you know how friggin huge these things are and they just aren't practical for mounting in an engine compartment, let alone between an engine and radiator.

#17 ·
On my 03 2500 Hemi I ran a Black magic 180 fan with Jet 180 stat.
The fan never came on while driving,and even sitting at a light it would only come on for less than a minute.
The electric fan had a much harder time cooling the motor with the stock 203 degree stat.

I towed with this setup for 5 years 6 days a week and never had a problem with it until I installed uncoated headers.
This created to much underhood temp and truck actually overheated if siitting in traffic.
As soon as I had them coated i never had another problem.
I will get a 180 again in the spring and put it into my truck to help with towing.
Great mod if you buy a good fan.
The Viper fan draws way to much power,and will cause you huge headaches.

#23 ·
The Viper fan draws way to much power,and will cause you huge headaches.

Just wanted to comment on this. The Viper fan does not draw that much power. On its low setting it is more than enough to keep the truck cool. Running it on High is way over kill and can draw some current but it isn't that bad.
For the most part the fan only runs when you are stopped at a light or sitting in traffic.

#20 ·
fan removed

hey guys I removed my fan....put a 180 motorad thermostat in...and it has been working fine.....driving around town and sitting temps have been 184....the highest then goes back down to 177.......I even let it sit in my driveway and let the e-fan kick in at 222......and it cooled it right back down to 180...with in seconds.....Oh 2011 ram 1500 5.7 and the pulley is pressed on, so just remove yours. ps, looking at the truck turn right to loosen......So I'm just waiting for Diablo to come out with support for the preditor...so I can go in and change the temp of the e-fan to come on at 180.....
Good luck guys mine is working fine.....

#21 ·
awwesome. thanks for the info. I did some research and found out the w/p pulley was pressed on so I removed my fan before a 670 mile drive this past weekend. I averaged 20.5 mpg with 4.10s when taking both directions into account!

Really appreciate the city drivng info wrt the temps. I have a DSP and have changed my low speed settings to 185 and my high speed settings to 195. I'll post up when I get a chance to test it.

#22 ·
been thinking hard about doing the same thing....could more than likely get away with it while I'm still here in Utah, but I don't know where I'm going yet after Korea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.