DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mufflex 14" and Volant Intake

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Scanman 
#1 ·
Just wanted to throw out my opinion on both of these products as I have recently installed them both this past weekend.

Volant:

This is a nice little upgrade to the truck. I was really surprised to see how much larger the filter is than what I would think a comparable K&N would look like. The fitment was just "OK" in my opinion. You really had to work that joker to death to get the stock inlet cutout in the fender to line up with the cutout in the Volant box. The other thing I didnt like is the instructions say to just "pull" the MAS out of the stock intake tube. Goooood luck. It takes some serious work to yank that joker outta there. And you better pay attention to what the orientation of the MAS is, because that does matter and it is not mentioned in the instructions. Not sure theres much Volant could do about this, but was just a sore spot for me when making the swap. It looks really cool and Im sure the truck is breathing more efficiently.

Mufflex:

I seriously seriously cant believe this isnt the muffler that comes stock on this truck. Im ALMOST disappointed that it isnt louder. Its definitely not as loud as a bone stock Mustang GT in my opinion at idle. I bet the guys who bought the 18 and the 24 are wishing they had gotten the 14 or deleted the muffler all together. You almost cant notice a difference at idle between stock and Mufflex. I would describe it as a different note, but not much of a dB increase. Fitment was good. You definitely need an extra set of hands to put it in, especially when it comes to lining up the exhaust tips again. When you get on it, it sounds pretty good. If youre wondering how LOUD it is, not the note, but the volume level at WOT is VERY VERY comparable to every single mustang youve ever heard with a Borla exhaust on it. Sounds really good. Again, Im sure the truck is breathing easier with both of these mods, especially together.

Just my $0.02

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Well yeah its pretty loud right when you start the truck up for sure because the truck is on high idle somewhere around 1400-1500rpm. Agreed. However, I grabbed the dB meter from work and did some before and after once the truck is down at 500rpm idle and theres only 2 dB difference between the stock and the mufflex (almost undetectable to the human ear) according to my little meter, which was recently calibrated. I think a lot of people are hearing a different FREQUENCY not a different AMPLITUDE. Maybe since yours is broken in it has gotten a little louder. Ill have to wait a few months on mine and Ill check it again and see if the amplitude of the exhaust note has increased. Cheers.

#4 ·
I actually got the 18 and while I agree it isn't crazy loud at WOT, the cab drone is enough to drive me batty. I do highly enjoy the idle sound and mild acceleration though, and I think it's just right. Any louder IMO would be obnoxious. Also, and this is with any muffler your gonna buy, the MDS switching in and out is annoying.

Have you noticed a decrease in MPG? I am trying to convince myself that I am nuts, however I swear I lost MPG, which doesn't make any sense seeings how things should be flowing more freely..:sad:.

#5 ·
I agree about the 14" magnaflow. It sounds good, but it sure aint loud! Especially at idle, its almost stock sounding. Doesnt really make any noise till after 3k. I have a magnaflow y pipe, the magnaflow 14" and no resonators. Gonna rip it off soon :(

#10 ·
If you wan't balls out performance AND a louder muffler then go with an AeroTurbine 3030xl. There isn't a higher flowing muffler produced and it essentially smoothens out the straight pipe "breaking up" in higher rpm's. Add to that that you can actually stack these mufflers (common set up on chevy's is a 3030xl on the main pipe and 2 2525's just in front of the tips to act similar to resonators.

I personally love my magnalow kit, but you really can't beat the AT performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.