DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My truck from stock to now

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  2011 ASSAULT 800 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I finally discovered this part of the forum the other day!! lots of cool vehicles in here! so here is mine! I bought my truck in September from my dad when I got home from working in Northern Manitoba for the summer... Had 127,500 kms (80K miles) and was stock other than a trifecta tonneau cover.

1st thing I did with in day of having it was the 2" ready lift level, with in days of that I had got a set of 305/55/20 (33x12.5) Dick Cepek FC-II radials as the tires that were on the truck were done.

only pic I have of it stock

With level kit and tires:

3rd came a K&N CAI - my buddy had one on his old sierra and it sounded great on the 5.3 so I figured on the hemi it would be awesome, and it is!

4th came the tow mirrors (but messed up and forgot to get heated ones :smiledown:) So I might put the stock ones back on for the winter

Next mod was 2 KC Daylighter 130 watt lights for behind the grill (to help when the highbeams are on..) This was probably the most fun MOD so far as I had to figure out where to put the switch and run the wires through the firewall etc.
with high beams and KC's on - you can see how much higher the kc's are

where I put the switch I was hoping for a stick on switch like PIAA has but oh well

Next (and last for now!) Came LED lights! Big thanks to this forum for the led section because I would have never even thought of doing led lighting! I did the map and dome lights, Plate, reverse, cargo and 3rd brake light all in cool white (except brake) These pics arent the best as iphone at night with no flash sucks.

I think that is it LOL Next thing to tackle (wish I didnt have to) is this...

damn people in the school parking lot.... I bought a new (used) bumper and painted it black... the bolts holding the old one on are pretty seized so I might need to torch them a bit.... and I doubt I will be able to push the corner of the box out, there is a big (flimsy) bracket in the right in the way so I will try my best to push as much of the dent out as possible...

Next thing that needs to be done (redone) is the rear fenders

hopefully they can hold off until spring, they are getting pretty nasty though

I think thats it, sorry for so many pics, I go picture happy! let me know what you think!

See less See more
#3 ·
I think I need to learn how to resize the pics! just to add, the very very first thing I did when I got it (same day) was put the polaris sticker on the back window, I had to cut it into 3 pieces to fit in the slider... I have the same sticker to go on the front windsheild eventually. I was very fortuante to get an amazing apprenticeship placement in N. manitoba with a large mining company (world largest) which helped fund buying the truck cash and everything that went onto it, I will be done school in april and can start working full time again but dont have to return back so thats when modding will begin again :D There are tons of things I would like to do next year!!

#5 ·
truck looks great! black trucks are awesome!

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone! I havent checked this part of the forum in a while

Mopar, although its not a mod, my drivers side wheel bearing too a crap, so I replaced that at a buddies place yesterday because he has a hoist, I am doing both lower ball joints tmrw then getting an aligbnment, it should ride like brand new I hope, it has been clunking pretty bad for a while.....

as far as actual mods, my GF had bought me a tail gate light bar for x mas, but it wasnt going to work with the opare tire hole and my tail gate would mangle it, so we returnmed it and I ordered a N Fab light bar for the front and am going to order 2 more daylighters and mount all 4 on the light bar... light bar is special ordser, coming from texas so I wont be in until next week due to the snow storms we have been getting this week... I cant wait to get it and get 2 more lights to help with hwy driving in the middle of no where....... I also installed silver star zxe's in the headlights as my 8 year old bulbs were pretty tired

#10 ·
What's your plan of attack for the fender rust? It doesn't look that bad, shouldn't be too hard to fix. I have some tips for you for painting it and getting it to blend/match instead of having a tape line, let me know if you want some help with that. I've done it a few times and it works great...obviously not perfect, but better than a clean line.

#11 ·
What's your plan of attack for the fender rust? It doesn't look that bad, shouldn't be too hard to fix. I have some tips for you for painting it and getting it to blend/match instead of having a tape line, let me know if you want some help with that. I've done it a few times and it works great...obviously not perfect, but better than a clean line.
ya the tape line isnt the nicest, my dad owned a body shop when I was young so I am going to get him to help... not going to do anything until the spring, my parents are gone for the winters. But I would like to get it done so that it doesnt rust my entire fenders out like alot of dodges I see around.... dont know how well it would work but I was thinking I could drill into that 2nd layer of sheet metal to allow sand and water to run right out instead of sitting in there?

#12 ·
have more stuff on order (ordered and paid for on Jan 10th) but it only left texas on friday so hopefully will be here by this friday coming! so more pics will be on the way!

#15 ·
well it has been soooo long since I updated this and havent really kept up to date, with my mods, I have done a bunch of things since I last updated

After waiting over a month for my N-Fab light bar I finally got it, 3 hours before I was leaving to drive 4 hours to Toronto before going to mexico in mid february, I was all excited, I get it out of the box, its the wrong fawkin one :( fawk me I was pissed, on the website it shows one with "brackets" that go from the bar to the tow hook mounts, the one I got with the same part number you are supposed to drill through the bumper... are ya kidding? deefinetly wasnt cool with that. So I built a bracket real quick out of some 1x1.5 aluminum that ran between both tow hook supports and bolted the bar to it
bracket

another view of the bracket

then moved the 2 130w KC daylighters that were behind the grill and put them on ther bar, I added 2 more 130 KC daylighters to the centre 2 spots on the bar, they are long range and shot very far, the 2 original ones are driving ones, they shot far but alot wider, they are on a slight angle towards each ditch, its pretty dang bright!!!

#16 ·
last weekend I decided to re-vht my tail lights, the first time I did it they came up pretty dark, the light output looked great at night and the lights when the truck was off looked awesome, the black matched the truck but when the sun shined on them you couldnt see my brake lights, so I re did them, used 3 light coats this time, 5 coats of clear, they came out great imo, still a little dark but you can see them in the sun, worse comes to wrose I will put led bulbs in the housings and solve all problems, had a few cops follow me and they kept going so thats a good sign

#17 ·
last week I also got a c/b dual exhaust system installed, I was after a flowmaster system but decided on getting a 1 in 2 out, 15" long vibrant muffler and 2- 3 inch vibrant tips and had a local muffler shop do the rest, pretty happy with the resukt, sounds wicked, its lud in the cab but sounds good on the outside, its deffinetly luider in the cab then out for some reason. dont have any videos but a few pics
Muffler

everyone goes straight out the back, I hate that, dont like the look at all, I wanted them out behind the rear tires but the tips were to long so 2 the corner of the bumpers it was

#18 ·
and finally for this week I bought bushwacker pocket style flares, for a few reasons, 1 I was washing and waxing the truck over a week ago, it was super nice june weather and discovered a ton of stone chips in the paint, all down the bottom of the doors, my tires love picking up stones, so reason 1 was to prevent more of this, 2 was I fixed the rust around my rear fenders (damn dodge) and the colour match was not the same, you could see the tape lines (i think there is a pic of it in this thread somewhere) so reason 2 was to cover up that because it looks like shit and will be hard to explain when I sell this thing 1 day. 3 was they look good. Not totally happy with the fit on them for nearly 600 bucks, they dont hug the rear fenders very well and there is a 3/16 or so gap at one part of them near the top of the fender on both sides and no real way to adjust them. but they look good from far LOL

will try to find a way to adjust them damn things, also not happy that they use you original screws but if you have mud flaps then the screws wont be long enough to hold the mud flaps on, not a huge deal but now my exhaust has been pelted with stones the last few days because I havent got a chance to get longer screws

ordered new wheels 2 weeks ago on monday and they are finally supposed to be in beginning of this coming week, cant say what they are ;) but I like them alot and no one on here has them :) will post pics when I get them on!

#22 ·
tanks guys, it has deffinetly came along way! when I bought it off my dad last september all it had for after market was a tri fold tonneau cover which I still have, when I sell this thing it will probably end up on my next ram as well! I like the idea of adding things that can be taken off and moved over to another truck, like the offroad lights and light bar. The flares deffinetly came out awesome! I was unsure of them before I bought them as I love the look of a truck with small offset wheels and no flares, but I needed them, I dont want anymore stone chips well worth the money imo

rims with small offset should be here next week sometime! I hope lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.