DODGE RAM FORUM banner

shock preferences?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ScatPak07 
#1 ·
hello all,
i have 2007 ram 1500 w/126,000mi.
on a horrible trip to the city dump (rough muddy terrain) both of the front shocks blew out. im going to replace all 4 in 2 weeks but there are alot of options. which brands are preferred? KYB, Bilstein, Monroe, Rancho, Mopar? Thanks

#2 ·
Monroe & Rancho are made by the same company. I tried replacing my factory coil overs a few months ago. First I started with some monroe quik struts, within one day they started rattling so badly. Decided to replace them with Rancho quick lifts, only to find out the top mounts where wrong. Called Tenneco, e-mailed pictures & tenneco tech support couldn't answer my questions. They finally sent me out a set directly from them, stating the other ones were old stock. BUT what they sent me was still wrong & missing hardware! I'd avoid Tenneco Brand items

#4 ·
I have 4 Bilstein 5100's (adjustable in the front) on a 2010 4x4 and they are a great improvement over the mopar's. and they have a lifetime warranty.

#5 ·
I have to second the Bilsteins. I had the 5100s on all 4 corners of my 07 Ram when I had it leveled and I really liked them. I had no complaints about them at all. I really liked the ride quality that they had, some people think it is stiff but I thought it was just right. They ate up the bumps in the road and made it much better to drive. The good thing about them is you can also use the fronts to level the truck and fit some nice tires. At least you will always have that option if you install those. I think the price is pretty good for the 5100s as well, they wont break the bank for the 4. Keep in mind the rears do not lift the truck, they just have more travel then the stock shocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.