DODGE RAM FORUM banner

tranny issues, 50,000 miles, no warranty!

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Rmfw 
#1 ·
so about 2 weeks ago i was driving, truck ran fine on way to work, when i left it was acting up, once i hit about 70mph the truck downshifted really hard and it was running about 2600rpm in 4th gear, i slow down it wont shift back up.. so i stop and disconnect battery and it worked fine again, i put it in cruise and went along with my day, then i was going over an overpass and the truck shifted down and got stuck again. i used my scanner and its throwing a code for a shift solenoid from 3rd-4th and 4th-5th so i stopped driving it for a week, got in it monday morning and it began it again, so i just rolled around at 2600ish for this week. well last night i was going about 50 and i guess it was in 4th or 5th and it just started shifting in and out of the gears, then it decided it wanted to be in reverse or park or something. the truck started grinding and came to a complete stop. so i was only :str: 2 miles from the house so i put putted on back, got in it this morning and it was doing okay but it was still shifting in and out and getting stuck in 4th. so on my way home this-afternoon i was coming out of the red light and i gave it aliitle throttle and it is stuck in what seams to be 1st now, because i can only go about 50 @ 5800ish and i was 25 miles from home.... what a ride... so what im wondering is what the hell is going on. and why does my 09 with only 50000 miles not have the 100000 mile powertrain warrenty, because i have had nothing but absolute trouble out of this truck and im sick of it, after it gets fixed it is getting a new home. sooo any ideas out there? im guessing the shift solenoid(s) are within the pan somewhere, can i buy them and install them myself or do they have to be synced with the vin? and has anyone else had this problem!!!!!!:str::str::doh:

See less See more
#7 ·
negitve, all the truck has was the 3/36, they coverd me rearend which exploded at 25,000 and now im having trannsmission issues. i called a local tranny shop and he claims this isnt the first time hes saw it either. he said it should be a reasonable fix. so im loading it up monday and bringing it.. im still wanting to know what causes this. it aggrvates me bacuse i was getting like 18mpg and it went down to about 7 and now its like 4!

#8 · (Edited)
3/36 is the bumper to bumper, not the powertrain. unless the 09 second owners got royally screwed. Because my 2010 is 5/100 no matter who the owner is

#9 · (Edited)
#12 ·
i bought my '09 new, it has the lifetime DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY
i also bought the Lifetime MAXIMUM CARE WARRANTY
you could have bought it any time before it hit 36,000 miles or 3 years, which ever came first, you didn't have to buy it new to get that

I am disappointed that no one told you that

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE!, so after the tranny shop having the truck for over a month i just got it back after a $2430.80 overhaul, he claims the trannsmission was over 6 quarts low on fluid, im not the brightest person in the world but thats like a gallon and a half, im almost positive you can see that puddle from a mile away, there never was a solenoid issue so my computer was wrong. but i checked the fluid like 5-6 times, in p,r,n,d and it was good everytime. im not sure if he was F****n me or what but he has rebuilt the tranny in my 2006 5.9 and it hasnt let me down after 90k, but he did put some kind of atfermarket kit in it and it does shift 20x better with it to the floor, it improved the whole spectrum from 0-100 at least by 3-4 seconds. now i just wanna do some engine work if i dont get rid of it.

also, RAMROD5, the reason i drove it like that was to basicly try to blow the thing up. i have had nothing but issues with it and it really upsets me beause i got it with barley any miles and paid 37000 for it cash!, and now it kbb's for like 23 wtf really,

#15 ·
Wow...so you admit to purposely trying to destroy your transmission, have it rebuilt, and then try to sell it on the same forum you admit to sabotaging it on?

I might be going out on a limb here, but I would bet you wont get anywhere near full value...

#17 ·
it was a birthday present ha. and yeah i know im not going to get full value. noone could get exactly what they paid for it. the value deprecates so much. im going to keep it and get a new mustang. 2 vehicals and just use the dodge as a weekend warrior. the tranny has 0 problems now. and it has a 12 month warrenty so if it breaks again its covered. now im working on performance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.