DODGE RAM FORUM banner

BDS Lift Setup Thread PICS

127K views 321 replies 81 participants last post by  ALWX65 
#1 ·
There are a few running around and not much info on the Z (Both 1500 and 2500)
Lets consolidate and provide info here for the members :smileup:

Please include:
Year/Model
Lift Size
Bilstein: Yes-Size/No
Body Lift: Yes-Size/No
Tire Size
Wheel Size
Pros/Cons
Any other suspension add-ons

**idea taken from Ram725 with his RCX lift thread**

#2 · (Edited)
2013 2500 Mega Cab Longhorn
6" BDS Longarm Lift w/ Fox Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
No Bilsteins
No Body lift - 3/4" spacer on front to reduce rake
About 3/4" rake - rear 48-1/2" front 47-3/4
37x13.5x22R - Nitto Trail Grapplers
22x10 - 5" BS Fuel Nutz
Airbags - for towing

Overall ride and performance is great, ride is comparable to stock, bumper towed 13k over 200 miles of mountain hwys last week and other than one long 10% + grade pass I could hardly tell I had a trailer. Some minor trimming was required and a stop was also placed as part of the lift to limit the turning to prevent this width tire from rubbing the long arm kit so my turn radius was increased a small amount. I also have a very slight shudder at time from 0-10 mph. Tires are a little louder than stock going done the hwy, but very little, if you have the music up at all it's not noticeable. If I was to do it again, I would probably go with 37x12.5x20R which might eliminate the need for the steering stops.

#64 ·
2012 ram 2500
6" BDS standard arm lift
Holsteins- NO
body lift- NO
315/70r18 toyo MT
18x9 KMC monsters -12 offset

Absolutely love everything about the lift. Install shop told me it was best quality kit they've installed (they don't sell BDS so they had no experience with it prior). Ride is ok with shocks that came with kit, but I will upgrade them probably before winter.

These trucks really make me wonder why i still have my 1500...beautiful Trucks in this whole thread :smiley_thumbs_up:

#4 ·
2012 ram 2500
6" BDS standard arm lift
Holsteins- NO
body lift- NO
315/70r18 toyo MT
18x9 KMC monsters -12 offset

Absolutely love everything about the lift. Install shop told me it was best quality kit they've installed (they don't sell BDS so they had no experience with it prior). Ride is ok with shocks that came with kit, but I will upgrade them probably before winter.

#7 ·
these lifted 2500s put the 1500s to shame, i have to admit.

jeez they are so freakin nice. Real mans truck. My next truck for sure

#17 · (Edited)
Here's my contribution to this thread. Once again, thanks Andy for all your help getting me the right parts at a great price!

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
4" BDS Suspension Lift
BDS 3" Rear Spring Upgrade Kit
Bilsteins in front set to 0.7" (Did not use the BDS provided front strut preload spacers)
Bilsteins in rear
No body Lift
Dick Cepek DC-7 Wheels. 20x9 - 0 offset
Nitto Terra Grappler Tires 295/60/20

Pros: Rides and handles better than stock, for myself it's the perfect setup for a daily driver, I drive mostly highway, CV angles appear to be the same as stock, no driveline vibrations and just the overall look as compared to stock.
Cons: none

URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/MarkSRT8/media/DriversSide_zps12f6e11a.jpg.html]
[/URL]

#18 ·
2013 ram 1500 Express
6 in with fox coil overs 3 in rear coils and fox 2.0 rear shocks
Bilstein: No
Body Lift:No
Tire Size 35x12.5
Wheel Size 20
Pros everything...better ride love the height can go higher if i want or lower ...cons....nope none
Any other suspension add-ons None

Attachments

#32 ·
I like the wheels. What are they?

#20 ·
Very nice look trucks! I think the 4 and 6 inch both look great on our trucks.

Fast I have a quick question for you about the bds lift. My truck has a 3 inch rake from the factory I plan on doing a 6" lift and going with the 3" rear lift because of how much rake I have now and I want it to be level. My question is will I still be able to run 37s or will I have to do the 5" on the rear with 2.8 bils.

Lets see some more pics!

#21 ·
If you have 3" Rake and you go with the BDS kit. You should be close to level or about 1/2" rake
I think you will fall in between 1/2"-1" of rake.
This is running the pre load too which is I believe 1"
If you want to be level, you will need to remove that 1" pre load and opt for Bilsteins and will need to set those bilsteins at 1.4 to have slight rake and possibly be level or 2.1 to be dead level
Currently out for dinner, but I will come back and do proper math, but that seems to make sense in my mind right now.

#26 ·
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
6" BDS Lift, 5" rear lift (did not install 5/8" preload spacer in front struts)
Bilstein: No
Body Lift: No
Tire Size: 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Wheel Size: 18x9 XD Addicts
Pros: Rides a little bit rougher but in a good way, more like a truck. New spindles are heavy duty!
Cons: dropping differential sucks because the top bolts are a pain to get to!!! only if you install yourself like I did of course.

If you go with the 5" rear you will need bilsteins to level regardless of factory rake. I like a little rake so I didn't. I only had a 1" rake from factory. I have 3.55 gearing so the rpms are running about 200-300 higher pretty much at all times, but not that big of a deal since I have Hemi power (truck doesn't struggle at all). My MPG dropped from 15.5 combined highway/city to 13.2. Only had the lift on for one tank so far though. I managed 19.5 MPG completely on highway before lift so I'm anxious to see afterwards.

#27 ·
By the way, Great idea on the thread FastnLoud! And I agree with you on 35s vs. 37s. I have 35s on mine at at some angles the tires look a little small, but hardly noticeable most the time, 37s look the best as long as your gearing is low so you can turn those bad boys.

Also for anybody wandering what size tires and what kind of backspacing you need, BDS has done extensive research on testing all size tires and wheels for rubbing. On their website they list what will fit on each lift.

Rule of thumb for 4th gen trucks, no more than 5" of backspacing (0 offset for a 9 wide wheel) and no bigger than 37" tire (go with 12.50 wide tire and you will get an awesome stance).

Hope these posts help who ever is considering BDS!!

#28 ·
Looks real nice man! Those 35s look right at home and I'm a big fan of the Addicts.

Did you by chance get before/after fender measurements?

#30 ·
sorry man. didn't. all the roads around me aren't even close to level so I meant to do it when I got to the auto shop. When I finally remembered I had the entire rear taken apart.

#31 ·
Thanks man. It's been a long time coming!

#36 · (Edited)
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5'7" bed
BDS 4" with factory front shocks 2" rear coil spacer (swapping to 3" coils asap, don't like the way it sits)
LT275 65R20 Cooper AT3 tires (34.2" tall 11.1" wide) on KMC Skitch 20x8.5 wheels 5.34" Backspacing 15mm offset (gives a good 3/4" clearance between the tire sidewall and steering knuckle)

Wheel opening measurements: Front 42 1/8" Rear 41 1/2"

The truck rides and handles like a dream. The tires don't stick out past the fenders at all with this setup. I might try the new Toyo AT II Extreme 295 60R20 next, it measures 35.1" tall, 11.8" wide and it'll clear with these wheels.

Attachments

#42 ·
Before:

Front 36.5 Rear 39.5

After:

Front 41.5 Rear 42.5

BDS 4 inch
Optional Fox shock
Optional Front Brake lines (from the 6 inch kit)
Top Gun Custom 2 Inch springs
Top Gum Custom .75 spacer
Bilstein front set at .7 per instruction

:smiley_thumbs_up:

#45 ·
Doc, truck looks amazing

Mike, finally see pics and she looks good :smileup:

Finally! I get to make my addition to an ever-growing list of badass trucks.

Year/Model:
'12 1500 Sport

Lift Size:
4" w/ 3" Rear Springs and Fox Shocks

Bilstein:
Set @ 2.1

Body Lift:
No

Tire Size:
35X12.50

Wheel Size:
20X9 -12 Offset

Pros:
I own the truck I used to daydream about when I was 12 years old doing my paper route. Beyond that, everything about the truck is just fantastic. I'm not sure I could go back to a factory stock truck ever again.

Cons: I can't use drive up ATMs anymore. Drat!

More pics found
here.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151948

#43 ·
Finally! I get to make my addition to an ever-growing list of badass trucks.

Year/Model:
'12 1500 Sport

Lift Size:
4" w/ 3" Rear Springs and Fox Shocks

Bilstein:
Set @ 2.1

Body Lift:
No

Tire Size:
35X12.50

Wheel Size:
20X9 -12 Offset

Pros:
I own the truck I used to daydream about when I was 12 years old doing my paper route. Beyond that, everything about the truck is just fantastic. I'm not sure I could go back to a factory stock truck ever again.

Cons: I can't use drive up ATMs anymore. Drat!

More pics found
here.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151948

#47 ·
What is it about these trucks that makes the rake different? 1"-3"?

Im gonna lift in the spring and im leaning towards a BDS 6" kit. I want the most lift possible out of the set-up. So, by going with the 5" rear spring and matching the fronts with 5100's and not using the BDS strut spacer is this possible, safe? I think I have the 3" rake now (need to re-measure but not home). So what should my Bilstiens be set at to get level with the 5" rear springs?

#48 ·
It's not that large of a difference. Its more like 3/4" difference.
Avg rake is 2.75"
If you have a 3" rake right now and you want the 6" BDS and 5" rear you'll need to max your Bilsteins
Every truck that I know with that rake and BDS kit requires maxing of the Bilsteins and there is still slight rake. Prob 3/4" which isn't bad

Let me know if you have any further questions or pricing needs.
fastNugly@bullysperformance.com
:smileup:

#51 ·
2009 Ram 1500 QC 4x4

BDS 6" lift (6" front, 5" rear)

Fox 2.0 shocks in rear

Bilsteins at 1.4 in front

No body lift

Wheels: XD Series Spy 20x9, -12 offset

Tires: Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.5x20

I loved my truck before the lift, but now I LOVE my truck.

#53 ·
2009 Ram 1500 QC 4x4

BDS 6" lift (6" front, 5" rear)

Fox 2.0 shocks in rear

Bilsteins at 1.4 in front

No body lift

Wheels: XD Series Spy 20x9, -12 offset

Tires: Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.5x20

I loved my truck before the lift, but now I LOVE my truck.

Really nice truck man! I love those Spy's! I wanted them on my truck but i was going away with all chrome so they wouldn't fit to my style. They look awesome on your truck though!

#52 ·
Looks mean, dude!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.