DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear end noise

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  beglin 
#1 ·
As posted earlier in another thread, my rear pinion seal was leaking. Took it in and had that replaced. Technician told me the pinion yoke had an "edge" on it he wasn't happy with, so they ordered the part and told me to come in this coming Saturday, but that we could re-use the seal they just installed. I called yesterday to have them order a new seal because it didn't make sense to me to put a new yoke in with a "used" seal, especially if the yoke is what is making the seal fail, but the seal would most likely leak again if it has been allowed to ride against a bad yoke??? I want those sealing surfaces to be perfect.

The problem I am having is, when I drove my truck home this past Saturday, less than ten miles or so, about the time I got to my house, I heard a noise that sounded like someone taking an empty coke can and rolling it between their fingers. At first I thought it might just be something setting itself, but yesterday, after a good bit of driving, I heard it again. If I didn't know any better, it sounds like the same empty coke can kind of aluminum sound, like the can is stuck in my tire or something and I just keep rolling over it. Never heard this sound before, and it was not there before the rear end was opened up last week. Any suggestions as to what this might be, and what I should tell them to look for when I take it in this next time, because I am really lost on this one?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
sounds like a failing u-joint,best make sure the rear joint is tight in its new yoke too. u-joints make a squeaking noise or a kind of crunchy sound when the truck starts to move and the driveshaft begins to rotate.one revolution it squeaks,the next revelution it squeaks again when the shaft spins to that same spot.you can relate this to the same as something stuck in your tire,as the tire revolves and the(can)hits the road ya get the noise once per revolution same as the driveshaft.the faster you go the more frequant the noise,right? hope I made sense. I think you should have it checked before it falls out that would suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.