DODGE RAM FORUM banner

trans fluid an filter change or not?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hotsauce31313 
#1 ·
i have a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.2 and auto tranny it has about 160,000 on it an i wanna change the tranny filter and fluid but i always hear changing the fluid and filter could cause the trans to burn up but some people tell me since i dont have any problems now that i should be ok does anyone have any advice on this?

G
#5 ·
It will burn up if you keep running old fluid in it.

Just make sure it's done right, that the refill is the right amount and check it after you've run it a bit.

Get as much of the old fluid out as you can, then do a flush and refill it.

#6 ·
You'll be fine . That story started years ago because someone thought they were having a tranny issue and believed that servicing it would fix it . Well after it was serviced it felt good as new . But several weeks later it gave up the ghost . The mechanic that looked at it , said they should of left it alone . Putting the fresh fluid in it broke evrything loose . What a crock of shi_ .

#8 ·
i went through this with a 94 dodge stealth, yes i know its not a truck, its had 65,000 miles on it, i went to Jiffy lube to get a transmission flush, two days later my trans broke, i went back to jiffy lube, they said at first it wasn't their fault b/c it i had signed a form that said something about it could cause damage, which i DID NOT get or sign any form, and they had to buy me a new transmission. turns out they flushed it with wrong fluid, not they flush its self. how the transmission shop figured that out i have no idea. that was last time i ever used Jiffy lube or did a flush, i just change my fluid and filter every 30,000.

#9 ·
i just did my fluid and filter change....my dad (master ase tech) said its about a 50 % fail rate when most ppl do it, they buy cheap trans pan gaskets and dont use a strong sealer. as long as your bolts are nice n tight and you use atf 4, you will be good. trust me, make sure you get that pan magnet clean as possible. i even top my fluid off with a lil Lucas (some say yay, some say nay) , my rams runnin like a champ though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.