Go with the mufflex 18 or 14?

• Mufflex 18

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Mufflex 14

Votes: 66 42.3%

Mufflex 18 or 14?

24K views 84 replies 53 participants last post by  dkmesa 
#1 ·
I am so torn between the Mufflex 18 and 14. I am afraid the 18 won't be loud enough and from what I am reading the 14 might be to much and have drone. Any help here would be great.

#2 ·
500 miles on my stock...replace with 14" mufflex and never look back its been 2 yrs.......:smileup::smileup:

#3 ·
hey blackzilla do you have a sound clip by chance?

#13 ·
Yes, buy a 3" U-clamp for the inlet at your local auto parts store. The provided band clamp won't do the job (at least for me).

I have the 24" and couldn't imagine having the 14". The 18" would be cool sometimes though.
I just ordered the 18", ...so what was the problem with the supplied clamp? Not the right size? Too flimsy, or just a problem with it coming loose?

#15 ·
I would have chosen the even smaller one. I know there were 3 different Mufflex kits and I would go with the loudest haha. That is just me

#16 ·
Mufflex 18 has a great throaty grumble but not so much you cant stand to drive on the interstate

#17 ·
I got my custom exhaust done through my dealer. I had told him I wanted it loud, but not obnoxiously so. However when I got it back they had used the 14. Ultimately I wound up having them put in resonators, to tone it down a bit, since I was waking the neighbors in the morning. Wish I had gotten the 18 from the beginning.

#18 ·
I had the 18" with the resonators left on. Wanted to wait till I could shut off the MDS with the DSP, Which I did about 2 weeks ago so today decided to have the resonator removed and it sounds great now!! I was a little disappointed with the 18 Magnaflow with the resonator but with out it it sounds awesome and no drone.

#21 ·
i have heard the 14 and it is not extremely loud but loud enough that it would get annoying on long trips. you have to adjust the radio to over compensate for it. I just installed the magnaflow catback system and very pleased with it.
It has what i call a grown-up growl. enough to let you know there is something there but not obnoxious. It sounds very well put together

#22 ·
I vote for 18, I hope - mine goes in on Friday. I picked 18 cause I want more than what I have and combined w/ a CAI it'll be plenty loud in the cab.

#23 ·
I'm looking for something a little louder than stock so it looks like the 24 would be the way to go because Muffles says stock is a loudness of 2 on a 1-10 scale and the 24 is a 4. So I think that would do the trick. The 18 is a 7 and the 14 is a 9. I'm sure the 14 would be louder than I would want but not sure about the 18. How much noise is in the cab at cruising speed on the highway on any of these compared to the stock? I want to be able to comfortably http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comfortablytalk to others in the cab with me.

#25 ·
I have had my 18" Mufflex in for about a month now. I have driven to hell and back (9200 miles in 4 months) Love the sound. Just right for me. Nice rumble and don't even notice it in the cab. Sounds real good on start up and exceraration with a mild idol. I am still running my resonators. I imagine 14" would sound real good too but think the 24" would be too quiet.

#26 ·
I went with the 18 inch mufflex. I am happy with the sound, but as far as everyone saying there is no drone, mine is bad. Usually everytime overdrive kicks in. If I downshift to fourth gear its fine. Also I now have a fluctuating low speed rpm. Any one else? I have no other mechanical mods whatsoever.

#28 ·
I think there is some logic involved that anyone can follow as to what size to get:

IF WIFE = NO AND KIDS = 0 THEN BUY Magnalfow 14

Otherwise BUY Magnaflow 18

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.